Quick FD question/concern

GoldenMotor.com

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice from the group on this install question. I am mounting a new Staton FD kit on a new Electra Townie 7D. The engine is a Honda GX35 new with the FD kit. Not sure if the engine must be level with the ground once the complete install is done or can it be clocked say about 10-11 o'clock looking at the left side of the bike.

Don't want to do any stupid damage to a new engine nor decrease longevity of it either. I could probably drill new forward holes in the channel if need be, hopefully with close enough accuracy.

Anyway I appreciate your time reading this and your feedback.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the GX35 is like the GXH50 made to run like a weed eater at any angle,even upside down. Unless it has a float carb,they need to be level. Google it and and see what they say............Curt

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The GX35 can be run at any angle without any harm to the engine. It would probably look better straight up and down though. Please post picts after you get the install done. I'm looking to mount a GEBE on a Townie 7D Thanks

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Gentlemen, I do appreciate the responses. And from my online research, it seems the motor does not have to be parallel to the ground although I do plan to add some extensions to get it level for no other reason than esthetics in my opinion.

The bike does have enough power to haul my 200 lbs around. After proper break in of the engine, i am anticipating some increase in power. A very pleasant ride and completely different from my CG and Dyno/HF bikes. To me they all are great.

So here are some picts of this basic transportation.

And the Townie is a most comfortable bike to ride. Being tall I ordered the 7D in their tall version and glad I did.

Tom

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the picts. I love the looks of the Electra Townie. I hope that when Trek bought out Electra in January that it doesn't change the quality.

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
A-v, I did not realize until after I bought the bike that Trek bought them out. I read some of the predictions and likely scenarios that might occur. I crossed my fingers and found this bike to be real nice. Light, nimble and uber comfortable once adjusted to my liking. Perhaps I got old stock being the "tall" option, I don't know, but it seems to be of very high quality all around. Good luck on your decision to get one. If it is anything like mine you will not be disappointed.

BTW, I asked about getting a front shock fork from the older 21D bikes and have it installed on this bike. Supposedly non available and HIGHLY not recommended by Electra. I may or may not pursue this.

Tom

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
To get your motor straight up and down so it is more astecically pleasing, Thatsdax.com sells a longer U bracket to mount the frictoin drive channel to that comes with his friction kits. You might be able to find out if he would sell individually. Hope this helps.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool looking, PoorBoy. Has a funky, Euro sort of look.

I dug this pic out for another thread but have that same kickstand with a small footing. I have no idea what to call the part that touches the ground. so good as any, I suppose.

But this works great if parking on soft ground and keeps the bike from falling over. Especially with a rack mount/top heavy bike. (looks far better after spray painting it black)

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=315958&postcount=34