Merkel Board Track copy

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I suppose I should wait for msrfan to respond to this question, but since there is a nice little hole in a similar location for the governor shaft I suppose with a little care and luck it ought to work just as well ????
That's what I'm thinking, but don't know for sure until I dig one of my motors out and see. Maybe someone will get to it before me, but I'll try and check it out soon.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well, the owner has a huge collection of motorcycles, cars and bikes, so he doesn't use it very often...a shame really, but he does take it out a couple of times a year at the drag strip as a pit bike and it really is a nice machine to ride. In any case, thus far he has had no issues with it at all...speaking in technical terms it is the best motorized bicycle I have ever put together.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Thanks Curt,

I want to do another one, got most of the items I need to get a new project under way, including a 5hp Techumseh snowblower engine, but been very busy with motorcycles the last couple of winters and with most of my winter already booked and an AJS model 20 on the lift I doubt that any motorized bicycles will be on the list for this winter ether...anyhow, I am still interested and lurking around the forum.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I know how it is been trying to get one built for a few years but just so much to do, i do a little then have to set it aside. I am redoing my shop now so will be better when done.
Bless .......Curt

Manx Mariner

Sep 4, 2019
This is for you Harry...

I've simplified the drawing to try to make it a little easier to understand.
Power from the engine is transferred to the large red sprocket via the engine clutch, then directly from the small red sprocket to the rear wheel. The quill shaft is supported by the large bearings in the bicycle frame and is not connected to the pedal shaft, it serves to support the primary reduction sprockets and the pedal shaft bushings only. The pedal shaft rides in the oilite bushings and serves to operate the pedal driven sprocket on the rear wheel and can be used to apply the coaster brake or pedal the bike (or hopefully start the engine, if I can sort that out too). I hope this helps you square this away in your noggin :)

Does anyone have a copy of this drawing they could send my way? It is too blurry to see.