Cooper & Ludwig

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The bike is delivered to Doug, we have listed the bits to be replaced, added, taken off.

I now have a 50cc Raleigh engine sat next to me, and my 1st job is to identify which model it is.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The engine has a model number, and it's good news for me. RM4, 1.4hp when new. Further good news is that emissions tests are not needed for an engine made before 1993, so the make-smoke-we've-seen-the-Bismarck exhaust is ok.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello Ludwig,

A couple years ago, near Bern, there was great odltimer show, with selling a lot of cars, motorcycles and components... On attached photo shown are small engines, that I could buy cheaply (some were small generators) - but I left that for some "better times" that didn't appeared...
Ciao,

Zoran

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Those are interesting. What's the manufacturer name on them, and the cc?
-----------------------------
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Ludwig,[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Seller didn't know anything about stuff that he sell: production, model, type, quality, power. We planed to return alter and check everything and maybe buy one, but was tire a lot: exposition was really big and interesting...[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]I had better photos with readable facts on engine's plates, but couldn't find it anymore. I suppose that they are two strokes of around 150 cc and a few HP: ex-Army surplus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]There is another possibility: to buy ex-Army gasoline generator and use just engine (which could be illegal), or to use it for hybrid power (that could be legal, but too heavy)...[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Ciao, [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What about the cheap 650w 2 stroke generators? Run them in properly, don't ask more watts than they can put out, they're ok. You have to find a way to turn the 240v AC into enough DC to charge batteries and/or run a motor.

I'm rather glad I'm treading a well worn path with my bike.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
...that is one of the solutions for simple, relatively cheap and not so heavy propulsion system for my present HPV quadricycle. I had a lot of questions about hybrid systems, but just one here: if I had generator that gives 650 Watts (around 90-120 $$$ and 16 kg), could I use electric-motor with less nominal power - or with more nominal power?
I have in mind so-called serial hybrid with direct power to electric-motor without batteries (to save on weight and money, complexity too) – as when we use some electric tools powered by generator. My neighbor in communal garden has one – noticed that generator's engine automatically throttle-back when he stop to use drill... Maybe to try it, before buying it?
Z.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Consumption should not exceed the constant output rating. I don't know if a 250w electric motor takes 500w to run or if that 250 is the watts going in; you need to ask experts about that.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From Shire Bikes, UK, one of these tanks arrived today and will be fitted eventually.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have been sent images by Derek Sloan of a Motobecane Model 7 he's giving me. It's going to be pulled apart for the parts, so it's current appearance isn't relevant.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have the AV7 engine and transmission coming my way as well. This means I'll have the wiring in place, only needing to replace the horrible square light with something old fashioned and round.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Step thru frame? Not to worry, Ludwig; my masculinity is more threatened
by the top tube of my mountain bike than by riding one with a 'girl's frame'.
How does your friend get his leg over that thing when it's running without
scorching his posterity?