What type of chain is a chain tool used on?

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Obviously a normal chain link is a better idea than a removable link. So is a chain link removal tool for all chains or a certain type? In other words, can I use a normal link instead of a removable link. And if a tool is used to remove a link and then replace a link, isn't the pin fitting looser then it did before removal.
Thanks. Just trying to determine if I should buy a tool. That way I could use the extra links I removed instead of having to buy a new master link.

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
shimano and sram make some chains that have links with pins that push in with the tool but those are for road bikes and mountain bikes and they usually cost more

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
you could put the chain togther without a master link, many bikes come like that... but it becomes a pain when you want to take the chain off.. just remove the other side of the link, and push a pin thru the assembled peice

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
chain breaker with master link $5 walmart.
yea, I made the mistake of buying 1 of those... the soft aluminum thread's pulled out. I did manage to push the pin out that I needed out with it, but when I finished, I noticed the chain guides had folded over from the preassure....

now when I need to break a chain, I use a dremel and a pin punch

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my chain breaker is still working like new after 3 or 4 times. but i bought it for the master link. what do you expect for $5,buy two if you have to.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
my chain breaker is still working like new after 3 or 4 times. but i bought it for the master link. what do you expect for $5,buy two if you have to.
the 1/8"-3/32" master links it comes with, won't work with the 415 chain... as far as the chain breaker, when I get around to it, I'll get a decent 1. till then I'll continue to use a pin punch... decent chain breakers are $10 at Harbor Freight

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I guess part of my question was meant to ask, but didn't do so, if I remove a pin, can the pin be put back in or will it just fall out again? Or if I remove a pin, is the only way to join the chain back together, by replacing the link with a master link with a clip? My point is, is the snap link the only way to break a chain and join it back together?
Do know why I am having so much trouble saying this. I must be tired :)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you only push the pin out one side to get apart then put back together and wack the pin back in.

the breaker from walmart does come with a 415 master link,i bought it and is using it.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Master links are just fine, I've broken a few chains and never at the master link. Just make sure your clip is facing the right way so as the chain goes into the gear house the solid end enters first.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I've never had a master link break, there are plenty strong, just make sure as the chain enters the gear housing the clip goes solid end first.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
you only push the pin out one side to get apart then put back together and wack the pin back in.

the breaker from walmart does come with a 415 master link,i bought it and is using it.
that's not a 415 master link. it's a 1/8"-3/32" bike chain link, says that right on the package.. if it's working for you, that's supprising, but it is also a weak link... I replaced the garbage 415 chain on my bike with #41 anyway

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I guess part of my question was meant to ask, but didn't do so, if I remove a pin, can the pin be put back in or will it just fall out again? Or if I remove a pin, is the only way to join the chain back together, by replacing the link with a master link with a clip? My point is, is the snap link the only way to break a chain and join it back together?
Do know why I am having so much trouble saying this. I must be tired :)
you remove the inner link on 1 end but leave the pin in the end hole ( don't push it out ).. this will allow you to insert the other end of the chain into the outer link, and push it all togther with no master link.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
3/16" from walmart is the same size as the 415 for chain and master links and is the same or better than what comes with the kits.

Last edited: