Pulled over in Illinios

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
So, I am driving around like I normally do, to and from other towns and cities in the Chicago western suburbs called Warrenville. The cop tells me that I am not allowed to use a gasoline motor on the public streets of Warrneville.............. Yea, right. OK no problem, I had to peddle about 1.5 blocks to my home on flat land. As soon as I got home, I went straight to the library and copied the Illinois code pertaining to motored bicycle. Then I proceeded to go to the police station and talked to the person in charge. he wanted to look up the statue and I told him it was not necessary, as I had a copy for his to look over.

He then looks at it and reads it over that agrees that the cop that pulled me over was in the wrong. He said that he would talk to the officer and set them straight.

Sometimes, laws are upheld.

I am glad to know that I had access to that information and can prove my illegality, without a ticket. Now keep in mind that I have been riding my bicycle in this town of about 3000, for about 18 months or so, and I thought all the cops new about it I see them all the time, when I am out on my bike. I guess this one woman did not know about it, or about my bicycle. Now I am keeping a copy if that law in my pocket at all times, because ............ well....... ya never know.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Good for you real, you did the right thing. Even though you know the officer was incorrect you did not argue, you did not give the officer lip or attitude.

I think we all take for granted that every officer will know all the laws. The fact is, some just do not. If they don't know about motorized bicycles, or never seen one I can understand how a officer may not know.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Handled perfect. Great to hear these stories as it always feels so grey the way these laws are written.

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Warrenville? FermiLab, right?
I ride all the time in fermilab. Last time I was cutting though and the security gaurd would not let me though with my bicycle.

I asked to talk with his supervisor. He came by after a few minutes and remembered me, Hes like "your the guy with the far out bicycle" then he let me though. I am sure he set the gaurd right.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I ride all the time in fermilab. Last time I was cutting though and the security gaurd would not let me though with my bicycle.

I asked to talk with his supervisor. He came by after a few minutes and remembered me, Hes like "your the guy with the far out bicycle" then he let me though. I am sure he set the gaurd right.
That's great! You should ask 'em if you could time-trial in the accelerator's tunnel. I live near Brookhaven Nation Labs...haven't haven't gotten the bike in there, but had a buddy whose dad was a physicist there in the very early '80s. He demoed computer-networking and ArpaNet to us...blew my mind! it's just down the road from Tesla's old lab which I HAVE tooled around in on my bike.

Schwonda

Apr 26, 2016
Wisconsin
Once again, a lesson to keep in our minds. Don't bad mouth the police when pulled over. It only gets worse. Most officers are pretty lenient if you aren't being an *******. IE driving stupid, " I know my rights " kinda bull****. DO however carry a copy of the law and NICELY educate the officer without insulting him/her. Trust me it works. The few times I have been stopped. All I got out of my mouth was " Sir/Ma'am it is under 50 cc's and can't even THINK about 30 mph on a flat. " In my experience, the police are more interested in how it works and how many MPG's it gets. Getting a " Man that is the coolest thing I have ever seen " from a police officer is more rewarding than trying to explain it to a judge.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Being polite, respectful and friendly is always the best. If everybody followed those simple wise words even if pulled over for something you did naughty like speeding, everybody walks away alive and smiling.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My nephew is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer and he has endless stories about where a simple stop and please be aware that what your doing is illegal and don't do it again rapidly turns into a &^%& you and your horse.

As he says the police have a lot of lee way as to whether they warn you or charge you and hand out a ticket or worse.

Steve.