GP460 vs. PF-4000

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I know the GP460 is 4.2hp vs. 2.2hp with the Tanaka PF-4000. Price is $265 for the GP460 vs. $306 for the Tanaka.

Couple of questions that I have is, I know the Tanaka is made in Japan. Where is the CY GP460 made?

I had a Gamefisher outboard motor before that was made by Tanaka and it sucked, so I'm a little hesitant about Tanaka.

The CY460 3 shoe clutch. It looks like the engine revs to 11,000rpm, but at what rpm does the clutch start to engage? Do I need to monkey around with clutch springs on this thing If I'm going to mount it to a 5:1 pocket bike tranny with a shift kit? Thanks for your input.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The CY GP460 is made in China, it's a direct knock-off of the Zenoah which is made in Japan.

The CY 46cc engine will smoke any Tanaka engine as it revs way higher, no matter what you do to the Tanaka. The longevity is another story, the Tanaka is well engineered and built to last a long time and is extremely clean burning and passes CARB compliancy. The CY engines are built very well but have very thin cylinder chrome plating that requires extra lubrication and special type of break-in to reduce premature engine failure. Just know this or find out the hard way ;)

Yes the stock clutch springs that come with the CY 46 are very stiff and engage at HIGH rpm. Ge the clutch saver springs and you will benefit from a much more manageable engine as these sprig are not as stiff and engage at 2-3,000rpm. as opposed to 5-6,000rpm.

The Tanakas recommend 50:1 gas to oil ratio and the CY's are designed to run 25:1.......just remember this and don't mix otherwise. Seriously disregard any comments about 100:1 Opti, Royal Purple, Maxima, Mobil 1, etc, etc.

CY's are very inexpensive for what you get, and you will get what ya pay for if you buy the Tanaka's. I like them both very much, but I'm running the CY's now for super high performance and 18,000-22,000rpm!

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
i just about died bro! i love my piston port tanaka gamefisher 3hp. it rips from 2500- 8000 rpm w an identlcle nt carb. i even like the pipe. makes my canoe fast and will drive all day on one liter of fuel seemingly. i never used more than 75 cents of fuel anyway.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The gamefisher I had was about 30 years ago. We bought it from Sears. It might have been before Tanaka took over making them. Not sure, but it sucked.