Pedals and Pipes don't mix. Help please!

GoldenMotor.com

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Well for the last few weeks I have been building a bike kit that I bought on eBay. You can check it out in the thread called My first build. Cheap and efficient!

So, I have ran into a sort of problem concerning the exhaust pipe. It stuck out to far and the left pedal does not clear. So I thought: No problem. I'll just set the pipe over the hole in a cement block and give it a few taps with the hammer. That should bow the middle of the pipe out so it can go around the side of the frame and back under, out of the way of the pedal, right? Needless to say, the pipe didn't bend as much as it dented.

So, now I am left to ask for suggestions as to what will make a good pipe that I can curl under the frame and out of the way. FYI: I don't have a welder or torch. And I would like to keep this as cost effective as possible. I still have the pipe. So, I can use the "header" part to attach to the engine still, but what are some things that I can connect to the header without welding? Flex pipe? threaded steel plumbing? You get the idea.

I await your suggestions.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can try filling the pipe with sand, and using a BIG pipe over it, but without heat, maybe buy another pipe.

Some have "widened the crank" by bending the arm out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You don't need heat to bend the pipe. Clamp it in a vise and bend it enough to clear the crank arm. You might get enough clearance just by enlarging the holes in the exhaust flange enough to rotate the flange/pipe inward enough to get pedal clearance.
This is a common problem with some frames. Don't give up.
I repeat, you don't need to heat the pipe to bend it. Cold bending is possible with enough leverage and you won't ruin the chrome.
Usually it only takes a little bend to clear the crank. Don't over do it.

Tom

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Well it turns out that the pipe fits now. The hammer worked, but it doesn't look as nice as before. It would be nice if we could find a better way for future builders.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well it turns out that the pipe fits now. The hammer worked, but it doesn't look as nice as before. It would be nice if we could find a better way for future builders.
2door's suggestion of drilling the exhaust mounting holes slightly bigger works for me every time. Lets me rotate the pipe enough to clear the pedal on every bike I've built so far. (about 10 or so)