My junky CDI went out

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
OK, just to be sure, after reading that other "CDI Horror Story," I went to check for spark.
No Spark. Pulled the spark plug and connected it to the CDI plug wire. Taped it to the top of the motor. Connected the Blue Wire to the Blue wire, Black to Black. Took it out for a spin around the street in front of my house just to be sure (its night, so the spark would be obvious.)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I didn't reread the post you mentioned, but I don't check mags that way.

first, blue wire to a good ground is 320 to 360 ohms being sure to scrape the probe into the metal for a good connection - if reading is is too high, try to get a reading right from those two copper wires at the top of the coil, and if good there, then resolder that connection which often goes bad

checking CDI with a meter is hard & gives funny readings because the capacitor in it stores voltage, then kicks it back if you reverse probes - also, it may spark well but at the wrong time

when checking for no spark, just looking may not work - if you think there is no spark, then hold the plug in your hand, hold your hand on the top of motor, roll the bike & see if it bites you

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
No Spark for sure. Held plug in my hand while peddling with the clutch engaged and touching the engine. I did not get zapped whatsoever, and I peddled it pretty quickly.
I went ahead and ordered a new Magneto, and have already replaced the CDI. I figure it has to be one or the other right?

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Just for clearity, the plug was attached to the plug wire and the CDI was connected to the Magneto, which I have made sure is correctly grounded.