Engine Overhaul and Tuneup

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Yes, basically take your engine off, take it completely apart. Replace warn or broken engine parts, especially bearings and gaskets. And then put everything back together making sure to use RED grease on the bearings. Norm's section of the forum has all the instructions.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Update: Finally finished break in (two gallons) and moving to synthetic at 40:1. So far the only negative effect of driving in the cold is the wind.

The 36 tooth sprocket is wonderful! And so far no issues with the engine at this time. Well, besides the fact that I have to grease the bucking bar twice a week to keep it from squealing.

jtennant

Oct 18, 2012
Arizona
Hi,
I am looking for a good set of directions on how to overhaul and tune up a 2 stroke engine. I have a 60 cc engine and something is bad in the bottom end. I cannot find any directions on how to take it apart and what parts to replace can you help me with a step by step of how to take the engine apart and what tools to use to do that?
Thanks

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Well, time to change things.

I got a MTB handlebars off ebay that have a 5 inch rise. I've noticed the wind is making me feel like a kite on the open road in the morning. Going to go back to the lean over bars.

My legs are a tad short (i'm 5 3") so I'm going to cut the 2 inches of the seat post housing that comes out of the frame (I'll include pics when I'm done).

I'll hopefully get the lower center of gravity I'm looking for. So far the engine is still running great. Some squeakiness when the clutch is engaged though. Mild however compared to my last engines many noises.

I'll post pictures when I'm done with this bunch of changes.

Jbomb

May 19, 2012
Wichita, KS.
Glad to hear that you're making satisfactory progress. I had an issue with the bolt and washer that holds the small drive gear on. It came loose and wore right through the clutch cover! I have been riding it without the bolt, and it must have been pressed on with a butt ton of force, because I've had no problems with it at all! I have a couple questions: how did you make your bike "legal"? Were you able to register it/tag it? Did running your light on the white wire affect your engine performance in any way? Keep up the good work!

nikymor

Dec 30, 2012
philippines
ei hello there what type of base cylinder gasket did you use a metal one or a gasket type paper thingy? i followed some of your tips and damn its to the point XD. were haveing a blast reading stuff from you and 2door and some other super duper great ones here, learning lots of stuff, coz we only know 4 stroke under bone stuff, now i know how to use a caliper ahahhahaha.

nikymor

Dec 30, 2012
philippines

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Glad to hear that you're making satisfactory progress. I had an issue with the bolt and washer that holds the small drive gear on. It came loose and wore right through the clutch cover! I have been riding it without the bolt, and it must have been pressed on with a butt ton of force, because I've had no problems with it at all! I have a couple questions: how did you make your bike "legal"? Were you able to register it/tag it? Did running your light on the white wire affect your engine performance in any way? Keep up the good work!
Jbomb, I had the opposite problem where that screw in the bevel gear wouldn't come out.

I made the bike legal by putting on lights, checking brakes, and going to the mva and getting moped tags. Easy as that. I've been followed by cops, er, going faster than the cops behind me and had no issues.

The white wire setup didn't effect performance at all! It runs awesome. In fact, I just installed an SBP expansion chamber and i'll fire it up tomorrow to see how it performs.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
btw what type of gas do you use we have here a 100 octane gas and the only available 2t oil we have here in the philippines are from these http://www.petron.com/what-we-offer.html and http://www.shell.com/global/product...ind-right-bike-oils/2-stroke-engine-oils.html i dont know whic is better for break in period can you help me out? before i put my engine up again and buy the right oil for break in? thanks in advance oh great littletinman.
Hi Nikymor, Glad I can be of such help! After being helped so much this last year, i'm glad others are able to grab from my experiences and experiments.

I use Penzoil two stroke oil for air cooled engines for breaking mixed 24:1. After a Gallon, I moved to Stihl synthetic blend oil and mix 40:1.

As to the gasket, the paper goes at the base of the cylinder, and the metal gasket goes on the top directly under the cylinder head.

Any conventional 2 stroke engine oil is great for break in. Just make sure it's for air cooled (Not for aquatic engines).

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
littletinman i need your expertise...Im doing an overhaul and bikeberry sent me a Case with 6mm holes for studs..Is it too sketchy to drill 8mm holes and tap bigger threads??? Or am i gonna have to get another 8mm Case from somewhere else -_- ??? Any advice is appreciated

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I highly recommend NOT drilling into these engines! One thing I learned quickly with overhauls and rebuilds is it's not good material for drilling.

You can actually find 6mm studs for these engines at some of the shops! Last time I checked SBP (Sick Bike Parts) has the studs for them!

Basically don't drill these things. Best of luck!!