Installing springer fork on worksman frame

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I have the worksman headset, & about to install the springer fork that i bought. cups already installed.
I can see a bearing for top & bottom, a threaded race, washer, & locknut, I assume these are for the top?
for the bottom all I have is a bearing.
seems to be something missing.
should there be a crown race for the bottom, to go in between the steering tube & the bearing? anything else meant to go in there?
where do I get these parts? local bike shop will have them?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure what you call them, but there should be a cup thingy (it will be similar to the one at the top) that you tap onto the fork steerer tube, the bearing will sit on this. If you have any other donor bikes or forks with the same size steerer tube you will just be able to take one off them, otherwise go to the bike shop and they should have them in stock, just take your fork or at least know or measure the size.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
here's the steerer of the fork I bought, & the headset that I got from Pat. the upper & lower cups are covered in masking tape.
It seems there is something missing between the steerer & the lower bearing. maybe a lower crown race?

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
not sure if it comes with the headset, i think they are usually with the fork. The bike shop SHOULD have them in stock, just know or measure your steerer tube or better still take your fork.... too easy.

Or as i said if you have donor bike or forks have a look and they may be on a set of forks steerer tube (just tap it off lightly with a hammer) you already have

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
didnt get very far.
the guy at the local bike shop says that they dont sell the lower crown race separately, He said that they come with the headset. Maybe Pat forgot to put one in the package? or maybe worksman headsets dont have a lower crown race? dunno
They didnt have a headset to suit it.
:-(
anyone else whose used these type of forks know what to do? or where to get a lower crown race?

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Jump on the phone to other local bike shops, ive never had to buy one but find it hard to believe that a good bike shop wouldnt stock em..... bloody kiwis LOL

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Yep thanks Harry.
Yeah it comes as part of the headset.
Because it's missing from this headset I would usually have to order another headset.
I will ask the guy tommorow who's lacing my wheels, (different bike shop, further away) to order me one, or see if he has a crown race separately.
Cheers for the help bud.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
the guy had a crown race. he's a huge recycler of parts.
the top bracket of the forks wouldnt sit flat on the steerer tube so the engineer is making me up a stainless spacer.
some people say to cut the tube, but I found with this one, that even when you loosen all the spring parts, the bracket wont sit on anything other than an angle, when you lower it, so a spacer it is.
in future i know to buy a fork with tube that's an inch less (this is 7 1/2". 6 1/2" would be better with the worksman steering head)

Attachments