Bike Motor Kit Engine will not run!

GoldenMotor.com

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
:-||Hi guys; I recently finished mounting my new Chinese Bike To Motor kit on my Huffy mountain bike and it looks good. I fueled it up, put the choke on full, twisted the grip a bit open and I pedaled away, :-||dropped the clutch, the engine turned over and popped and died. I then opened the choke, and then tried this several times more with the same result. When I regained my breath, I noticed fuel residue was dripping from the muffler, so I think that it was getting fuel okay. I noticed that the supplied Chinese spark plug has about 1/2" of reach, and I can see the threads in the head have a lot more thread then the spark plug have. I am thinking about trying a longer reach spark plug to put the spark down in the combustion chamber being careful of course, not to hit the piston. I would have tried this today, but the bike is up at my son's farm at the moment. In the meantime, I am thinking what else I might do. One thing, will be to put a "O" ring in the carb to manifold connection incase I have a air leak there. I have not read anywhere where anyone has had a problem with this engine starting and running. I would appreciate of your suggestions on what my problem might be because I want to ride!!! Regards, Karl

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
If fuel was dripping out the exhaust then the motor is flooded. Use no choke or throttle when starting. If that doesn't work use only a touch of throttle. All you are trying to do is get it to fire. You know you have fuel flow. If the carb is on you are getting at least SOME time of air flow. If it will not start then the problem is somewhere between the spark plug and the magneto. Make sure you took the metal cap off of the spark plug. The stock boots will only seat on the threaded tip of the spark plug. These motors will flood pretty easily. I accidentally had my choke on once and the motor would not start. Fuel was dripping out the exhaust. I noticed the choke being on and shut it off. The bike still wouldn't start until I let it sit for a while. If that doesn't work disconnect the kill switch and try. Next would be the wire connections between the CDI and the motor. Check as much as you can before you start replacing things.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
The engine should run even if the plug is a little further up than optimal.

Seeing as you have fuel running out of your engine, it's probably a problem with the carb. Open the float bowl(the bottom of the stock carb) and make sure the brass jet is properly screwed in. Also make sure the throttle cable, slide, and needle are connected up properly.

If that doesn't work, then you might be having a problem with your spark plug. Go to an auto parts store and get an NGK B6HS spark plug and a spark plug wire. You might as well buy those since you'll likely end up replacing the stock ones anyway. Either one may be faulty.