Squealing clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Well hurray yet another post by me. Since day one with a new engine, the clutch squeals when its engaged. It does so more at slower speeds. It does not squeal when the clutch is disengaged.

Things I have tried thus far:

- Messing with the clutch cable, and flower nut. I have tried every combination. Can have the flower nut really tight and snug and the clutch wire loose and floppy. Thing still squeals.

- I took each clutch pad out one by one, and roughed it up on the concrete a bit. Did the same with the metal disk. This made an improvement, but did not solve the problem.

What more can I do to fix this? I'm assuming the next step would be to try and get the whole clutch shaft out and tightening up the spring.... I REALLY do not want to disassemble a brand new engine X_X

Let me know if there's something I've missed!

Thanks!

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Thats it? even though the pads were brand new to start with? I hope I dont have to replace 5 engines worth of clutch pads. Does anyone know of some kind of home remedy to this problem? Also any way to simply construct new ones? I was hoping I could find a sheet of some clutch material and just cut more little squares out of it.

Matt

chuck12563

Jun 8, 2011
Patterson, NY
So did you find and fix the cause of the clutch squeal. I have a new engine and it is doing the same thing. The clutch does not slip, it is just very noisy.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The screech is like the guy said no grease on the ball and short rod. They will sound like a bearing is going out. Once some grease is applied it will stop, if that is what it is.

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Its strange, its quiet during acceleration, but goes noisy when slowing down. I have not been able to find a solution. I've kind of just been, going with it. I would love for this to stop.......

I know it has to be the clutch, since pulling the clutch handle makes it shut up.
My bearing and bucking bar are well greased also. Both of my bikes make this noise, and my friends 3 bikes all do it also, making 5 bikes exhibiting this problem. All 5 are Flying horse kits. My old Grubee never did this...

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Is it only when slowing down? Mine tends to go squak squak squak! while slowing down, as the engine and bike are sort of fighting to decide how quickly to decelerate, and it slaps the pucks back and forth a bit. I usually just pull in the clutch when I'm slowing down. What color are your pucks? I have reddish eraser looking material, and they seem to squak a bit more (but they hook up great!).