Too Big???

GoldenMotor.com

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
cvlt1On the fence with this and would like an opinion or 2...

This is a 6 in. dune buggy light from Harbor Freight, seemed like a good deal and I was looking for something slightly larger than the standard bicycle headlight... Thought is also looked a little retro to me.

Attachments

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I think I know how you could power it in all its glory. Im a dirt bike guy before a MB guy. Some older dirt bikes only had 6v for lights , same volts as the white wire to power lights with these engines.

With a dirt bike all you have to do is get a 12v regulator/rectifier and a small 12v battery. You run the 6v line from the stator to the reg/rec then reg/rec to the battery. This trickle charges the battery from the 6v engine line and allows you to run 12v lights from the battery. Ive seen this done lots of times when people restore old dirt bikes but want to run newer , brighter 12v lights.

I bet it would also work with these engines.

A reg/rec like this :
Ricky Stator

And a battery like this :
Super Mini Moto Pocket Bike 12 Volt Battery Parts 49cc: eBay Motors (item 170269544430 end time Sep-26-10 02:01:22 PDT)

Then you could run the 55watt H3 bulb that comes with that light and any other 12v stuff. You could hide the battery and reg/rec under your seat.

:)

Last edited:

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Opps I meant stator. The part where the white wire comes from ......

On these engines they are called magnetos ?

:)

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The headlight looks perfect!
I have a black rubber shelled one the same size that I am contemplating on using.
I just gotta figure out an LED conversion for it that will actually put out a decent pattern and brilliance.

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
The headlight looks perfect!
I have a black rubber shelled one the same size that I am contemplating on using.
I just gotta figure out an LED conversion for it that will actually put out a decent pattern and brilliance.
Im doing some design work with a major flashlight company at the moment... if i get some secrets i'll share :)

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
that light looks sweet. that thing will be totally bright when riding. i want a bullet headlight but not as big. but that looks great on that type of bike.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Lamp looks sweet on your ride, if its bright enough keep'r for sure. :) How many watts/what voltage is the cree? would they run off our 6v white wire?

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
I have a bunch to tryout... 1 watts... white wire only works if the cycle is groung right ( I aint got no kill switch)... any idea how I might wire this... I was going to go with batteries