12 volt light

GoldenMotor.com

fakeplay

Jul 26, 2009
newburyport ma
I have two 6 volt generators, IF I run one on each side of my tire will it produce 12 volts ?
I want to run a motorcycle light. Will it work ?

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
I don't know whether that setup will work, but I do know that motorcycle headlights were largely 6V until the '70s, and it's fairly easy to get a 6V motorcycle headlight now. Ebay or junkyards. My "normal" motorcycle uses a 6V system and it's a 2001. So it shouldn't be hard to find. Check with a junkyard as well. Find out what kind of bike you're taking the light from, then get the wiring diagram for it and check which wire (there will be three coming out of the headlight) is high, low, etc.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
No, It will still be 6volts but the amperage from both would double what just one generator would put out. Great idea though. I am also thinking of trying a 12v generator to keep my 12v battery charged while riding. I don't even know if a 12v generator for bicycle lights even exists, but it may.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
12 volt generators for bicycles do exist. I don't know where to get them, but I have seen them. In fact my Dad uses one on his motorbike. Oddly enough we were just discussing power generation for motorized bikes. He is an electrician, so I trust what he has to say on the subject. He tried using his generator to charge a small motorcycle battery, but when attached to the battery, the generator acts as a motor. Only It will not turn a whole revolution because it's built like a stepper motor with only two poles. A diode would take care of that, but in the end the generator still doesn't put out enough current to charge a battery. He has been experimenting with stepper motors of various sizes as an alternative, but hasn't come up with anything practical yet.

In theory, two 6 volt generators in series should make 12 volts, but in reality it doesn't work that way. I'm not clear on why, it's just what I've heard.

I use a sealed lead acid battery to run my headlight and tail light and just re-charge it after I use it. It's funny, Dad's the electrician and I'm a Mechanic, but between our two bikes, I have the nicer electrical system. My next step is to add turn signals.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
i have had nothing but bad luck from wheel driven bike generators. according to others here on the forum it's due to the fact that they generally aren't made for the high RPMs these motors put out, and can effectively spike a 12v 6w generator up to 18v, blowing the lights out and even the generator itself. (I've had this happen no less than 4 times due to stubbornness.)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
In theory, two 6 volt generators in series should make 12 volts, but in reality it doesn't work that way. I'm not clear on why, it's just what I've heard.
It's because they are AC signals and cannot be syncronized. High and low points in the cyle do not line up.

And I can verify those tire generators, even expensive ones, are pure junk.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Xlite, that makes sense.

TheE, maybe but even if you gained voltage, you would lose current. So it would go from 6 volts and .5 amps (3 watts, like most 6volt generators) to 12 volts and .25 amps. still 3 watts, but not really enough to do anything with at 12 volts. Maybe LED lights, but if you are going to go that far, you might as well use 6volt LEDs.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
The 12V bottle generators are available @ bikeworldusa.com. Check out my build link below.
I have some pics and info on the charging system. Here's the deal. It will charge the battery
with no load. I have destroyed 2 of these because of the speed. So I only use it when in the
"hood" or cruising through the park at <20 mph. More than that and the bearings go kaput.
At low speed, it will keep the battery from discharging as fast as it would without, with the lights on. By itself, it will power LEDs no problem. I have mine hooked up to a $2 Radio Shak bridge rectifier. Some say its not needed; That may be true at the lower voltage/wattage use of these things. I use it anyway.
Knowing what I know about these now, in the future, I would build a hub generator wheel and drop down to the 6V system these produce.
But, no, 2-6V gens. don't equal 12V.
WC

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
TheE, maybe but even if you gained voltage, you would lose current. So it would go from 6 volts and .5 amps (3 watts, like most 6volt generators) to 12 volts and .25 amps. still 3 watts, but not really enough to do anything with at 12 volts. Maybe LED lights, but if you are going to go that far, you might as well use 6volt LEDs.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
Yeah, that's true. I was thinking you could probably at least use it to charge a 12V battery while the light is off. A decent sized battery would keep a small lamp running for several hours even without anything charging it.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
i have had nothing but bad luck from wheel driven bike generators. according to others here on the forum it's due to the fact that they generally aren't made for the high RPMs these motors put out, and can effectively spike a 12v 6w generator up to 18v, blowing the lights out and even the generator itself. (I've had this happen no less than 4 times due to stubbornness.)
I know this is an old post but however if your putting out over 12 volts perhaps depending on amperage output ''id imagine that's spiking as well'' if you used a 12 volt battery, like the one I found conveniently hiding in my my fios modem ''a $50 dollar score as far as i'm concerned'' and ran the generator to a small v,regulator then to the battery, then from the battery then to the light sound s like a lot of work but it really isn't.
RADIO SHACK should have the v/r cheap cheap
zpt
PHP:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The generator by itself will produce much more than 6v at motorized speeds. These generators are designed to produce 6v or 12v at pedal speeds. Also, the generator by itself will only power the lights when the wheel is turning. So when you stop, the lights will shut off until you get rolling again. Your best bet is to get either a 6v light or a 12v generator and a battery, then build or buy a charging circuit. I've just installed a 12v generator and charger on my bike to charge my battery. When the bike is moving, the generator will be powering the lights. When you stop, the battery takes over. I'm waiting on a 12v sla battery, because the 12v system cant properly charge the 14v nicad I'm currently using.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well there's no need to be rude about it. And you're half right. Yes, you would need a voltage regulator, but you would also need a rectifier to convert the output from AC to DC. Or you could buy the 12v mini charger from wonderful creations on ebay, but that's $35 or something. I had a 12v generator and the mini charger given to me. As long as you've got a regulator, rectifier and a fuse, you will be fine.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
YOU'RE RIGHT there is no need to be rude about it. I didn't realize I was being rude.

1. because I'm never rude at all in fact if you knew me you would of seen me say that with a smile on my face
2. I just don't play the ''politically correct game'' I have a tendency to tell it like it is.

Funny you mention those ''wonderful creation chargers'' i was just looking at those we must be on the same brain wavelength or something. I Will find a way to do it the way I have it pictured in my brain.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Ok, sorry I mistook your bluntness for rudeness. I have the same gift, lol. I just did a generator/charger combo and it works. I can't use the coil from wonderful creations because I dont have a two stroke, hence the generator. I'm replacing my nicad battery with a 12v sla battery, but other than that the system fully works. I just have the charger disconnected from the generator until my new battery gets here. If you want some ideas, pm me and I'll be glad to share some details of my setup.