Ultimate China Girl Engine

GoldenMotor.com

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Europorsche covered almost everything...... However I would like to see the clylinder barrel and head redesigned to have an "oldtime" boardtracker look. This could be incorporated with extra cooling fin area and the improved head with a squish area. The old 8 valve indian engine had a great look to it, the fins and head were all rounded.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Also I'm sorry to hear about your job situation Finfan. We are all hoping the economy will turn around real soon. Keep the faith and let us know how you are doing.

PS Jim at CE--- we are all excited and are ready to order the improved China Girl Egines. Put me on the list PLEASE!

Oldcliff

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Europorsche covered almost everything...... However I would like to see the clylinder barrel and head redesigned to have an "oldtime" boardtracker look. This could be incorporated with extra cooling fin area and the improved head with a squish area. The old 8 valve indian engine had a great look to it, the fins and head were all rounded.
Cliff, put up a pic...I usually design stuff for funtionality...that doesn't mean a bit of eye appeal can't be built in.

Jim

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I have experience as a sculptor and goldsmith and the 'art' of these bikes isn't lost on me. I think I know the path that Cliff was headed down and it gets my vote of support. I did a bit of research to try to find the best pictures possible.

The first is of the 8 valve Indian I think Cliff was refering to.

The second is of the same style motor but out of the bike so you can get a better look at it.

The third is from the other side on another bike but it should still be the same style motor.

The last picture is from a 1915 Harley Davidson and while it is similar, this is the one I like the best. It is a bit shorter and wider. These are all 4 stroke motors so the head design is different then ours due to the valves but I do like how the fins radiate from the center. I have no idea how this would affect cooling though. The last motor is a bit simpler. As you can see they all have round fins around the jug. One thing I would like to see in the new motor if possible is greater area for the cooling fins. The ones on the current motors don't provide enough cooling in my opinion.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide how it looks of course but I am grateful that you are willing to hear our thoughts on the matter.

I hope I am not being too presumptuous Cliff. Please correct me if this isn't what you had in mind.

Attachments

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Cliff, put up a pic...I usually design stuff for funtionality...that doesn't mean a bit of eye appeal can't be built in.

Do you see what I mean gang, Jim's listening-even if you have no plans to buy the new engine at least get in on the fun with your suggestions or gripes with present China Girl kit engines.

How about we help Jim name these special engines---I like small pesky insects,that's what these engines will be, "Scorpion" "Hornet" "Wasp" "Black Widow" "Mosquito" come on everybody, let's hear some names for Jims new "babies"

There are a few left, you really don't want to be order #21, 'cause you'll be out of luck. Walter F

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Thanks Clotho for the Pics. The 4th engine is exactly what I had in mind. Lots of round jug fins with the head fins radiating from the center. I think the Harley "Peashooter" was a one cylinder model of the same engine, only with 2 valves. Of course Jims engine would be 2 stroke.

How about calling it the "Boardtracker", or the "Peashooter" in honor of the early Harley engine, however I also like Walter F's names.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Ok now I know it's common for a small 2 stroke engine to not have a crankcase reservoir for oil because the lubrication is in the gas and this design has worked for countless small 2 strokes out there. But it also seems a quite common occurrence in these HT's is crank bearing failure.
I bet if this crankcase has an oil fill like in outboard 2 stroke boat engines and 2 strokes in general larger than 100cc that would put that crank bearing in a constant oil bath now that would go quite far in longevity just that one mod alone would extend the life of a HT two or even three fold.
Even an oil injection pump would add a lot to the longevity.
You would still need premix for your piston rings but at least you wouldn't be depending on that COMBUSTED oil to run down your crank to your bearings.
Most small 2 strokes that don't need crankcase oil aren't asked to pull your 250 pound plus body down a road. Most just pretty much turn stuff without much resistance like a leaf blower,man.
And a good name for these engines would need to be something catchy like the name Whizzer but that's already taken.
Catchy name. Jim. What's your last name?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Ok now I know it's common for a small 2 stroke engine to not have a crankcase reservoir for oil because the lubrication is in the gas and this design has worked for countless small 2 strokes out there. But it also seems a quite common occurrence in these HT's is crank bearing failure.
I bet if this crankcase has an oil fill like in outboard 2 stroke boat engines and 2 strokes in general larger than 100cc that would put that crank bearing in a constant oil bath now that would go quite far in longevity just that one mod alone would extend the life of a HT two or even three fold.
Even an oil injection pump would add a lot to the longevity.
You would still need premix for your piston rings but at least you wouldn't be depending on that COMBUSTED oil to run down your crank to your bearings.
Most small 2 strokes that don't need crankcase oil aren't asked to pull your 250 pound plus body down a road. Most just pretty much turn stuff without much resistance like a leaf blower,man.
And a good name for these engines would need to be something catchy like the name Whizzer but that's already taken.
Catchy name. Jim. What's your last name?
Swarthout...It's German...translation, Blackwood.

Jim

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Hi Jim
Unreal...Wowie Wow Wowie!!! Will your motor be able to accept the pull start and centrafugal clutch kits and do you think the auto clutch will hold up? Thanks Rick ,and keep up the outstanding work.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Prof. Swarthout, I have a question-what are the displays on the left telling us? I can barley make them out. Also could you go over that first paragraph again but like you were explaining it to a teenager or a woman? I know I'll catch **** about the woman part, but they think differently than we (men) do and sometimes that's good! Walter F.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Jim
Unreal...Wowie Wow Wowie!!! Will your motor be able to accept the pull start and centrafugal clutch kits and do you think the auto clutch will hold up? Thanks Rick ,and keep up the outstanding work.
Hello Rick!

Knowing that there are a number of external upgrades available...those that you mentioned as well as the SBP shifter kit, I'm going to do my best to ensure that other after market parts will still be a direct bolt-up.

It goes hand-in-hand that the same enthusiast who would consider buying one of my engines has more than likely also purchased other upgrades along the way. I certainly don't want to create a situation where a guy has to decide between a really nice engine and all of the accessories he has already purchased.

The screw hole placement and the deck height of the magneto cover will remain the same. I've added some extra material to the case halves in order to be able to O-ring seal the cover. I'm waiting for a pull-start to arrive, just to make sure it will land on the O-ring of my new engine.

There shouldn't be any problems with the centrifugal clutch either. I'm hoping to cover all bases, but I have to stick to the original premise that this engine will be of a much higher quality, produce more power, reliably, and smoothly.

This engine wil not be suitable for use with a rag joint sprocket installation. The hub must be driven, whether it is with a clam shell, or a shifter kit. I will not be super tuning the engine as shipped. Brendan will port it so that it runs as it should, but we will not be throwing the max at it as I already know it would be too much for a typical bike. The stock engine produces 2-3HP. The new engine will be double, which I have determined will still be with-in reason. For those who now how to tune 2-cycle engines it will be possible to take what I have made and get 12+ HP out of it.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I`d be interested in one if there`s one to be had......Aounds like a good idea.....
I doubt if I will be keeping inventory on these...they're too expensive to produce. They will always be offered in lots of 20 or more on a pre-paid basis.

For this run I have several local customers that don't care what they cost...I'm also doing a few for myself, as well as the on-line customers who have been asking for a better engine for months and have pre-paid. This window will be open for about 10 more days.

Jim

Last edited: