What is your actual mileage, and

GoldenMotor.com

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
type of bike, motor, kit, etc.

My Subaru Robin 33.5cc on a Straton friction drive, Trek mtn bike with Gotham tires has averaged 114 mpg over 131 miles.

I was expecting higher.

What are you getting?

Thanks,

Mike in San Antonio

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Never really checked. When it needs fuel, I just add it.

To me, it's more about the 'smiles per gallon'!!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I have a 4 liter gas tank and ride 16 miles a day at least 3 times a week. I never pay attention to mileage, I fill my tank and keep a full gas can, as soon as my tank runs low I empty my one gallon gas can in it and repeat.

I had a few problems with leaky lines and petcocks, finally got that under control. I think.

New petcock and tygon lines. I'll check it now, since I just filled the tank

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Recumbent tadpole, 49cc four stroke (CRF50 clone), 36v 750w ehub hybrid.

Results highly variable depending on usage ofc, approximately 200mpg average, mixed riding styles/conditions;

...I should mention while the 49cc four stroke & ehub hybrid combination assist reducing consumption, the primary efficiency aspect would be the recumbent position. As a result the primary gain is during sustained cruise speed, what percentage of this gain is lost through the drag of the ehub exceeding it's usable RPM range is unknown, the ehub assisting acceleration only until 20mph the benefit depends entirely on usage. As I ride mixed environments the overall result is beneficial, were it "highway only" I'd forgo the regenerative charging & freewheel an edrive assist.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I always carried an extra 30 oz in a aluminum fuel bottle, probably still will. The recent fix with the worn in place seat and valve, lapping then seat and valve cutting by machine shop to restore angles when that was necessary had intake timing off.

I ground the bottom of the valve to get back the gap between tappet and valve stem so now piston going up had the intake not open. It was still open about a 1/3 the compression stroke. Gas wasted sort of. It was processed the wrong way through the carb throat and venturi still worked sucking gas and spitting it at the air filter. Later and the beginning of the next intake it got extra gas from the filter as well as the venturi effect in the correct direction (toward the cylinder). Amazed it ran that way. If I had kept the old carb that uses the oil bath airfilter I would never had known.

Probably more power and lots more mileage on a tank fill. I was seeing around 20 mpg, gotta expect it might double. Low ratio 21:1 with 26 inch drive wheel and only off road climbing hills it may not be 50 mpg, but plowing through mud left over from snow melt and rain is not for best mileage anyway.

MT

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I'm always wot on the way to work, climbing hills in severe headwind, but coming home is a breeze, 25mph at 3/4 throttle, she'll do 30 if I let her. Downhill with the wind at my back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
On all but my first bike I've run motorcycle fuel tanks that average about two gallon capacity. I've never actually tracked my milage because after a day riding, sometimes up to 70 miles, I still have pleanty of fuel left in the tanks.

That said, it would still be interesting to see just what kind of milage I get with my somewhat easy riding style. 18 to 20 MPH and about 1/2 throttle. 2 gallons would probably take me a long way.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
On one of my china girl 50s I got 140 mpg once, and usually about 120 mpg.

My china girl 80s struggle to get much more than about 90 mpg.

My electric bike gets the equivalent of about 490 mpg avg, based on $.015 kwh @ $3.50 per gallon of gas. The way this breaks down, I get about 35 miles per 1.5 kwh charge, average @ .015 per kwh. This is actually a very conservative estimate. The actual is a little higher, because my battery actually holds a little less than 1.5 kwh in reality. This is averaging about 35 mph. I have ability to double this number by keeping my speed to less than 15 mph.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'll try too be honest here and not make unreal claims of high mileage on my stock beach cruiser framed, 212cc fully blown 20+ HP 4-stroke with 24" CST cyclops tires inflated to 50+ lbs. of dry nitrogen and running 12:1 gearing......I'm thinking around 1 MPO. Yes that's right.....one mile per one ounce of 110 octane VP race fuel. Does that sound about right?

Wanna race?
:D

EDIT: No that doesn't sound right at all as that would be 128mpg which isn't even close. It used to get 80mpg on a good race day, now I would guess maybe 45mpg.

It is a gas guzzler on the track.....

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'll try too be honest here and not make unreal claims of high mileage on my stock beach cruiser framed, 212cc fully blown 20+ HP 4-stroke with 24" CST cyclops tires inflated to 50+ lbs. of dry nitrogen and running 12:1 gearing......I'm thinking around 1 MPO. Yes that's right.....one mile per one ounce of 110 octane VP race fuel. Does that sound about right?

Wanna race?
:D

EDIT: No that doesn't sound right at all as that would be 128mpg which isn't even close. It used to get 80mpg on a good race day, now I would guess maybe 45mpg.

It is a gas guzzler on the track.....
45 mpg is believable, but I hope it's better than that. That would be really low efficiency with only 20 hp. My 85 hp Sportster running wfo gets 30+ mpg.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
45 mpg is believable, but I hope it's better than that. That would be really low efficiency with only 20 hp. My 85 hp Sportster running wfo gets 30+ mpg.
Like I said "it's a gas guzzler on the track" and I try to keep it WFO at all times, but it's just not possible! OK.....25hp laff

.wee.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Like I said "it's a gas guzzler on the track" and I try to keep it WFO at all times, but it's just not possible! OK.....25hp laff

.wee.
Oh sorry, after a little calculation, with 25 hp your bike would be almost twice the efficiency of my Sportster. Stupid old Harley lol.

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
153 miles on the Subaru/Robin, Straton friction drive, Trek mtb bike, Gotham tires.

MPG average is holding at 114.

Bike is running very well, only problem has been a fuel line split at the carb nipple.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
My Huasheng 49cc with an EZ Motorbike tranny on a cruiser with 2" slicks gets about 130mpg with around town driving. I try not to floor it unless I really have to. It has a top speed of about 35mph. Most of the time I'm riding at 30-33mph which lets me keep up with traffic.