AMF Roadmaster

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I found the engine I will put on this bike...

50cc moped engine w/ Pedals

Would you just get rid of the normal pedal side sprocket with one of these?

This is what it has...

Engine
Displacement 49cc
Engine Type Air Cooled, Single-Cylinder, 2-valve, 4-stroke
Bore/Stroke 41mm x 47mm
Final Drive Chain
Fuel Delivery no
Fuel Unleaded / 93 Octaine
Reccomended Engine Oil 10W-40 Petroleum Based (Nonsynthetic)
Ignition
Kick Start Pedal
Electric Start Yes
CDI no
Auxillary Output Yes
Transmission
Transmission 2-Speed auto w/ Hi & Low range selector
Shift-Pattern no foot shifter
Clutch
Semin auto (no hand clutch)

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I should learn just to shut my mouth earlier and keep my opinion to myself. I see what a cool looking little bike is now. It takes a little time for some of us. Thank, you!
Some of what I show here is my thought process so I can chew over what I am building. As it moves forward it will change a little here and there, but the basic idea is set and flowing.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That is a very cool engine... four stroke, 2 speed, both electric and kick start, built in pedals. It would even be legal in many states. Do you have a link for more about it... source, cost, etc. ? Not that I'm in the market for an engine, but it is all good to know. I'll be interested to see how you mount it and how you like it. Looks like a winner to me.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I found the engine I will put on this bike...

50cc moped engine w/ Pedals

Would you just get rid of the normal pedal side sprocket with one of these?

This is what it has...

Engine
Displacement 49cc
Engine Type Air Cooled, Single-Cylinder, 2-valve, 4-stroke
Bore/Stroke 41mm x 47mm
Final Drive Chain
Fuel Delivery no
Fuel Unleaded / 93 Octaine
Reccomended Engine Oil 10W-40 Petroleum Based (Nonsynthetic)
Ignition
Kick Start Pedal
Electric Start Yes
CDI no
Auxillary Output Yes
Transmission
Transmission 2-Speed auto w/ Hi & Low range selector
Shift-Pattern no foot shifter
Clutch
Semin auto (no hand clutch)
Draco,
You asked about removing the present pedal from the bike frame. My guess is that the pedal being built into the engine you are choosing is designed so that pedaling forward moves the bike forward, then freewheels while not pedaling and giving a smart kick backwards on the pedal is how you manually start it. Pretty slick! The Tomos A-35 is set up like that. So, you end up with just one sprocket at the rear wheel corresponding to the engine sprocket. Left hand side, in other words.

If indeed this is how your intended engine is set up then your perfect solution is to remove the little bottom bracket extention from the bike frame and hang the engine under the frame. There should be plenty of room. But I wouldn't cut it off until I knew for sure how the engine was set up. This would give a low center of gravity and make the bike handle nicely all the while looking good. Cool motor!
SB

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Draco,
You asked about removing the present pedal from the bike frame. My guess is that the pedal being built into the engine you are choosing is designed so that pedaling forward moves the bike forward, then freewheels while not pedaling and giving a smart kick backwards on the pedal is how you manually start it. Pretty slick! The Tomos A-35 is set up like that. So, you end up with just one sprocket at the rear wheel corresponding to the engine sprocket. Left hand side, in other words.

If indeed this is how your intended engine is set up then your perfect solution is to remove the little bottom bracket extention from the bike frame and hang the engine under the frame. There should be plenty of room. But I wouldn't cut it off until I knew for sure how the engine was set up. This would give a low center of gravity and make the bike handle nicely all the while looking good. Cool motor!
SB
Here is where one could get it http://tboltusa.com/store/50cc-moped-engine-pedals-p-1301.html and it is $299 plus $30 shipping.

Yes SB I'm leaving the BB there until I have the motor in hand and see where it will go. Thanks for your help so far.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
OK, so I took apart a gas tank from an old chain saw to make a battery box for my AMF. This tank had two sides to it, as one was for the bar oil I think and the other was for the gas. At first I was going to solder in a new center section but I was able to get a good bond so I just cut out the end in the original center section and will use it that way.

Now all I have to do is solder two of the section together and create a latch for the third section and mount it to the frame.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I was not planning on it but I may in the end. How hard would it be to convert the forks that is going on there now? They are from an OCC chopper. Could the tubes be replaced with suspension tubes?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I was not planning on it but I may in the end. How hard would it be to convert the forks that is going on there now? They are from an OCC chopper. Could the tubes be replaced with suspension tubes?
You could build a springer fork set up out of them, the welding would ruin the chrome and would require that you paint them so they would look good but a springer fork could be fab'd up pretty easy actually.

Here is something that is crude but I just marked up in word program.

maybe this will give you some ideas and maybe it's nothing you haven't already thought of, but here it is just the same.

Peace, Map

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Suzuki K-10 forks will fit and are awesome forks, but the legs are wide enough apart that you would need to come up with a longer axle for the Worksman wheel. A hassle for sure. Something from a moped will work nicely and your axle on the Worksman would be fine. Something like a Puch or Tomos would work. A nice thing about a triple tree fork is that it extends the front wheel several more inches, essentially stretching the frame some.
SB

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Suzuki K-10 forks will fit and are awesome forks, but the legs are wide enough apart that you would need to come up with a longer axle for the Worksman wheel. A hassle for sure. Something from a moped will work nicely and your axle on the Worksman would be fine. Something like a Puch or Tomos would work. A nice thing about a triple tree fork is that it extends the front wheel several more inches, essentially stretching the frame some.
SB
Have any idea what the diameter is on the K10 forks are where they mount to the triple tree?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
SB
Hello, SB

You mentioning the Puch or Tomos forks as working in a bike made me remember a question about that I have had.
Will the bearings that are normally used on a 1" bike fork stem work on the moped fork stem, I have seen that many are 26mm on the mopeds but I have no experience with messing with the moped stuff, seen some cool looking forks that treatland.tv has and was wondering if I could use a set of them with standard bike head set hardware?

Sorry dracothered dont mean to high jack here, just seen this as a good oportunity to ask this question and thought the answer could help others as well as my self know what can be done with the moped forks.

Peace, Map
reddd

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Hello, SB

You mentioning the Puch or Tomos forks as working in a bike made me remember a question about that I have had.
Will the bearings that are normally used on a 1" bike fork stem work on the moped fork stem, I have seen that many are 26mm on the mopeds but I have no experience with messing with the moped stuff, seen some cool looking forks that treatland.tv has and was wondering if I could use a set of them with standard bike head set hardware?

Sorry dracothered dont mean to high jack here, just seen this as a good oportunity to ask this question and thought the answer could help others as well as my self know what can be done with the moped forks.

Peace, Map
reddd
If the steer tubes on the moped forks are 1" then I would have to modify them because mine takes a 1 1/8 forks.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the steer tubes on the moped forks are 1" then I would have to modify them because mine takes a 1 1/8 forks.
The forks I looked at on treatland had 26mm head/steer tube which is just a fraction over ( 1") 1.0235" to be exact according to my Mitutoyo Calipers, and you would need something around 28.5mm steer tube, just scrolled through everything they have on treatland.tv and all I see is 26mm and 25.5mm head/steer tubes and a couple that were like 25.2mm.
some of them are dang nice looking forks for sure.

https://www.treatland.tv/category-s/117.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=117&show=50&page=1

map