New pipe

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I fabbed a tuned pipe today for the latest MTB build since I'm too sore to ride. Had to use a slip joint where it runs through the back of the frame but it was worth it! Leg never touches any part and it sounds great too! Since the motor is new I don't really know how it will affect power once its broken-in. Should be a nice wide powerband like the one on my Pig (I hope!)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maniac,
Is there any way you can enlarge your photos? They come up as not much more than thumbnails? Hard to see your new pipe.

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The meaning of a 'tuned' pipe is that the header tube is cut to a certain length to cause the reverse pulses from the expansion chamber to hit the cylinder at a certain RPM range to make more power there... A good header tube length is usually around 12" (give or take).
Having the header as long as you do on your pipe really defeats the purpose of having a 'tuned' pipe.

I'm sure your pipe sounds awesome, but it's not going to make power like a proper expansion pipe should. :/

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I know the science but I swear the long headpipe really gives a great power spread. Lots of low end torque right where you need it for the chinagirl. I built the first one just to get quiet and was thrilled by the low end increase...no other mods at all.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here the final pipe. I removed the expansion chamber to see if it affected torque and found the pipe works just as well with the stock muffler, plus it's slightly quieter. The expansion chamber looked awkward so I tucked the stocker nice and tight to the rear triangle instead. Still needed a slip joint to allow pipe removal, but I used an old grip as a sleeve to seal it nice and tight. Sounds very nice with no blatty noises like the stocker.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Are you saying Venice was right in other words?
(About the expansion chamber being more than 12" from exhaust port.)
Absolutely! He was spot on.
I knew the long header would basically cancel any actual wave-tuning but it looked cool so wth?
When I replaced the tuned pipe section with the stock muffler, it was just as good on the low end and quieter too. The pipe on my Pig is very similar and it also has a nice wide powerband.(Expansion chamber instead of stock muffler)
I mostly like it for the sound the pocketbike silencer gives it. Much more motorcycle-like instead of the blatty stocker.
It seems these motors like a long restrictive headpipe for more low-end torque.
This is the third pipe I've built with this or similar routing, and I really like the way they improve rideability.
I am seeking custom looks and quiet sound more than maximum power increase so this works great for my needs.
Plus it was dirt cheap!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup.

It rides a lot smoother at low speed too I'll bet.

Makes less noise, less annoying, and more fun to ride!

Nice work!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yup.

It rides a lot smoother at low speed too I'll bet.

Makes less noise, less annoying, and more fun to ride!

Nice work!
The thicker handlebar tubing I use lately seems to help noise a lot, almost as much as the muffler itself....cuts down on the ringing
Conduit is louder than handlebar tubing...quieter than copper pipe
Table legs are too thin and sound tinny...
Pocketbike pipes work great...but are hard to route properly without hitting your leg while riding. Good silencers too!
Stock mufflers work good too when run to the back of the frame...
It works for my needs and is dirt cheap.
Plus I can say it has a custom built exhaust pipe. (sounds faster already!)