First build - '72 Indian Racer

GoldenMotor.com

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Hope you all enjoy my first build. I utilized some very talented craftsmen who I have met over the years while restoring old pick-ups. I apologize to my neighbors in the Monrovia hills area, but your roads are just so smooth & tasty!

Frame: Micargi Stealth
Fork: Rigid, stock
Tank: '72 Indian MX
Mirror: '43 Indian
Motor: 66cc Grubee Skyhawk
Exhaust & Filters: Sick Bike Parts
Weathered White Walls & Saddle: Triple 7 Bikes
Fork Saddle Bag: LaRosa Leather Co.
Marshall Tach by C&H, Duarte, CA
Frame Fabrication: Howe Welding, Monrovia, CA
Tank Resto: Pacific Radiator, Glendale, CA
Body & Paint: Studio Auto Body, Glendale, CA
Vintage horn & headlight from Lloyd's Bike Shop, Duarte, CA

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/demonbros/72%20Indian%20Motorbike
/72IndianRacer3.jpg

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hope you all enjoy my first build. I utilized some very talented craftsmen who I have met over the years while restoring old pick-ups. I apologize to my neighbors in the Monrovia hills area, but your roads are just so smooth & tasty!

Marshall Tach by C&H, Duarte, CA
That is a great looking ride!

Do you have some more info on that Marshall Tach?
Cost?
How is it hooked up?
Thanks

Last edited:

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I tried keeping the cost low & was doing a pretty good job up until the point when I decided to go with a vintage Indian tank. I scored it for 60 bucks on ebay but after sandblasting, relining, body & paint, it was more than expected, about $500 for the tank alone. As Murphy’s Law would have it, I spotted the exact tank, NOS never used mint on ebay buy-it-now for $200. I argue that at least mine has the original Indian petcock & cap, and the lacquer black paint beat out the NOS Indian decal I had found for it.

Regarding the tachometer, it is actually a pressure gauge manufactured by Marshalltown Gauges in Iowa, USA. A few years ago the company merged & became Marsh. The gauge has no function other than cool looks & letting me know how much my front end is vibrating without any shocks ;) C&H Surplus is Disney Land for gadget / gauge guys….buckets full of parts from the last century; they may have an online catalogue. This gauge has no glass face & a white satin finish 0-15. The owner couldn’t wait to give it away for 5 bucks with the brass hardware & in original box. I found a black ‘7’ bracket & attached it to the bottom of the Indian rearview bracket to make it appear to be one part. Glad you liked it!

Thanks again!

Derekian72
“Born to be Mild”

Attachments

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
wow, first class I've ever been moved to the front of! Who knew I was a special student ;) Now I just need the weather to cool down a bit so I can enjoy a ride.

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
yes indeed...I wanted to tuck the pipe in as much as possible & going right through the frame gives it a snug fit with only one mount. I cut rubber moldings from a heavy duty inner tube to line the frame tubing where the exhaust pipe rubs. I also had to get a pedal extender to clear the pipe.

Gotta love the horn, as if I'd have time to reach down & squeeze it before the glass truck pulled out in front of me ;)

Attachments

swingslammer

Oct 7, 2010
Hawaii
Where did you get the tank for this bike? I have an electric but am looking for a pretty big tank to put the batteries in. Thanks, nice bike.

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
The tank is an Indian MX tank from the 70's. I got it on ebay for $60, and spent another $300 or so on having it restored, and an NOS cap & petcock for it.

It is amazing how nicely this tank fits onto a Micargi Stealth frame. The only modification I made to the frame was adding two rubber grommets to the right & left sides of the top frame tube near the neck in order to recive the U-shaped stock grabbers on the inner walls of the bottom of the tank.

I used soft sticky-back velcro to cushion the top frame tube where the back of the tank rests. It is just the right thickness to provide protection for the tank, without looking bulky or messing up the perfectly snug fit that these tanks have when matched over the fat oval shape of the Stealth frame tubing.

I believe this tank is well over a gallon & definitely has room for battery power. The right and left compartment hold fuel as one chamber.

Hope this helps & thanks for the kind words!