Bike Bug motor circa 1970

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Hello everyone,I may have mentioned it ....Recently I happened upon an old raliegh english 3 speed that was put out to the curb,its too cool to let go to trash as it is but it has a front friction drive motor called a bike bug,I googled ot with some response,it seems folks who had these motors really loved them,its a real small engine but Id really love to make it go....like I said too cool to toss,has anyone played with one of these?

mlcorson

Sep 7, 2009
St. louis, mo
I was given an 30+ yr old Bike Bug last summer. It was stored with gas and need every rubber part replaced, a new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, primer bulb, new drive wheel, etc. It would start, but then it would quit making spark. Bad magneto, needed new CDI electronics. It took me all summer and over $175 worth of parts to fix. In the end, its a 23CC engine that was underpowered, but was still fun to ride. I weigh 150 and had it on an older women's Schwinn. On the other forum search "bikebug" for more information. If you want a "project" motor...well this might be it.
This guy is an expert and helped me fix my engine. Contact Mike Schnieder for help Bike Bug
Ps I sold both the bike and engine for $180 this fall. Had fun and didn't lose a lot...good definition for a hobby.
-Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Both of mine have had points....easy to replace and cheap too.
Most of the expensive rubber parts can be made easily enough. You don't need to buy top dollar parts unless you are planning on restoring one and holding on to it for the next 50 years, at which point they will be worth about 200 dollars. ;)

mlcorson

Sep 7, 2009
St. louis, mo
I had trouble rigging a one way primer bulb. I also needed to buy a new fuel pump diaphragm, etc. For future reference...since if I see another bike bug, I would grab it. How did you make those parts? The other parts as well?
-Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There are small primers for model airplane engines as well as others. You can make a check ball assembly out of a fuel filter with a flat screen and a ball bearing. Fuel pump diaphram? Do you mean the carb gasket one way flapper ? You can make or buy those cheap. There were a couple of carbs too, not sure what you have.