bicycle engine Kit - What NOT to do!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Please don't follow these instructions. I repeat, these instructions will NOT lead to a safe and well performing motorized bike:

80cc Assembly Manual.pdf

These are not copyrighted or controlled to my knowledge because they are essentially the same for all the Chinese kits. I have another version I'll post tonight.

The main point of this thread is to point out the errors and correct them so people assemble their kits correctly.

I'll start: PAGE 10 "Procedure for attaching throttle cable to carburetor throttle slide" wrongly depicts the zinc plated (silver colored) slotted washer UNDER the E-clip on the mixture pin. That washer should go OVER the E-clip.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Chinese Bike Kit - What NOT to do!

I agree with you. that kind of thing is what caused me to sieze my motor before I had gone five miles. There is better information here than in that manuel. If the bike importers actually installed one they would know how bad the instructions are and write their own.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Well rather than rewrite the thing (if I had the word doc) I want folks to point out the errors as a group - then I can compile the errors.

My third one: He calls the screw on the left side of the carb the mixture screw, when it's the idle speed screw and makes no mention of how to actually adjust the mixture.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

It wasn't clear to me which end of the cylinder was up and which down. I just didnt grasp the spring inside the cylinder for a while. The whole of the needle and washers fit equally well in the top of the cylinder as they do in the bowl. It was the spring inside the cylindar that I just could catch till I saw norman's pictures.

The instruction ones make the cylinder look shallow in all of them.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Guys the Chinese do try if someone would pay my way to China I'd help them write an manuel really I would and if I could only get my ruby slippers to work.rotfl
Norman

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Guys the Chinese do try if someone would pay my way to China I'd help them write an manuel really I would and if I could only get my ruby slippers to work.rotfl
Norman
Been there, done that for 5 years of my life. I wish I would have known this hobby then.....traveling for weeks at a time in China had it's pluses, but my home is here, and my kids got used to me not being here. The food was always great, girls friendly, beer lousy. (Except Shanghai good beer there)

In Taiwan I rode a electric scooter - GREAT!! In mainland China (not Hong Kong) I saw far too many dead bodies and mangled spines and legs........not a place for feint hearted riders.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Dang! I'd still like to go see the country its got to be different.
Norman

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento

Hey guys, when I started doing this there were NO manuals!!!

The Chinese did not write that manual, it was written by Don Grube, an american in south China.

This was pirated by our competition early on.

The Chinese do NOT care about us one little bit, all they want is whatever money Don and the Others give them.

please ask me if you have any questions,

Mike

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

I think even something as simple as spark gap they got wrong. Instructions say 0.028"-0.034".....well after trial and error and Norm's input (0.020") that is simply too much gap. I went down to 0.022" and it starts and warms up way better. Norm even wrote 0.017"!!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

that is what makes this forum wonderful. i would have never guessed the spark plug gap. its all about helping each other.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Lots of conflicting info in the manuals. I especially like the part where they stress the importance of mixing the oil and fuel properly and then list the proper mixture as 16 parts oil to 1 part gas:)

Does anyone have the directions as a Word document? It would be nice to have correct and clear instructions available from this site.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

That is something that is sooooo complicated with soooo many variable it would be better in an encyclopedia form with a damn good index.

Frame too large? do this then do that ect. One size does not fit all, on any part of a chineese bik kit. My favorite thing was they didn't bother to tell you enough about the clutch. I thought mine was frozen because it was so hard to activate at first.

Mini hog

Mar 26, 2008
Milbank SD
Well, I've looked arround here and haven't found an answer to my question. To start with, I have what is supposed to be an 80 cc kit that I bought from a company in Canada. I don't want to mention their name because I'm less than pleased with their service. Anyway, the carb has slots in it where the clamp goes that holds it on to the intake. I have a serious vac. leak there. There is no gasket or o ring to seal it. Is there supposed to be something there? I know some silicone would get me by for now but not very long. Any ideas???

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
They are all like that. Try sealing it with some form-a-gasket, or RTV. OR get the right size o-ring, but be warned - some o-rings may even make it worse.

I'm not using any goop or o-ring on mine now and it seems to run fine...I may seal it to see if it changes.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can fix that by grinding the carb down so those slots are shorter, or you can seal all the air holes with RTV, I ground the carb down with a grinding wheel and dressed it with a file.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought a box of about ten o rings and put one in it stopped it for me. but you have to get the right size don't put one in that isn't snug cause it will get sucked into the engine they tell me. I had a carb part get sucked in there so be careful.