I need a stop light, not a tail light

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Michigan law says I need a stop light, not a tail light. Everyone in the forums talks about tail lights. Aren't y'all using stop lights?
And I wonder why Michigan law wants a headlight and a stop light but makes no mention of a tail light for night driving.

How do I make a stop light activate? Is there a brake lever with an electrical switch or do I have to make one?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
California also requires a brake light. A tail light is only required for night driving. Replace your brake levers with levers from an electric bike or scooter. Check on eBay. Make sure they come with the switches and wires.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
A headlight and stoplight, but no tail-light? Wonder if the law was written so long ago that the author ASSUMED you wouldn't have a stop-light w/o a tail-light?
I love Michigan, but they do some things oddly up there...

Lights are my next project. I was getting "The EYE" from one of the deputy Constables last night as I was returning home at dusk....duh.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
nashbar sells a stop tail light
I'd be careful ordering online from them. Their "secure" server got hacked and several people on a bicycle listserve i belong to got hit. Just a few dollars a month, you know, just enough for you to look at the statement and say "Where's that coffee shop at?".
Sure, it happens, but Nashbar handled it like a 2-y-o trying to hide the fact they had an "accident".

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
There are special switches called microswitches which are designed for this sort of thing. You can pull them out of old microwaves, amongst other places.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
ok but mine has gone for over 6 months and it activates only when you pull the lever. You don't have to turn it on it stays off until the brake lever is pulled JMO i like mine

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have seen one that works off of a spring or something. Aero07 has one. It is battery operated with no wires. When you brake, it automatically comes on. It's a tail light as well as a stop light. PM him if you can't find something. I'm sure he'll help you out if you are interested.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got one of these: Wireless Bicycle Brake Light for Mountain Bikes, City Bike Carriers, and Dynamo Bicycles

it's got an accelerometer in it, so no wires. it doesn't work that great, like the brake light isn't that sensitive, it comes on when you stop or slow suddenly, but it makes me legal.

the plastic mount is absolute garbage, though. if you use it, you might as well throw 30 bucks into the street and watch it get run over by cars.

scooter09

Feb 19, 2010
Minnesota
Michigan law says I need a stop light, not a tail light. Everyone in the forums talks about tail lights. Aren't y'all using stop lights?
And I wonder why Michigan law wants a headlight and a stop light but makes no mention of a tail light for night driving.

How do I make a stop light activate? Is there a brake lever with an electrical switch or do I have to make one?
Maxxon wireless-ebay