Home Brew Hair Dryer turbo.

GoldenMotor.com

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned reed valves. I think they would help overall performance. The last post I saw with reed valves said that top end didn't change that much but every where else was better. I'm starting to work on my own design reed valve system. I hopefully will find one that already exists and only needs little modding for our application.
If anyone else has any input let me know.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned reed valves. I think they would help overall performance. The last post I saw with reed valves said that top end didn't change that much but every where else was better. I'm starting to work on my own design reed valve system. I hopefully will find one that already exists and only needs little modding for our application.
If anyone else has any input let me know.
Reed valves are awsome in how they can improve just about everything. I am waiting a new motor for my mill/Lathe combo to start building/repairing some custome mods such as a backup booster jet engine. I have built some pulse jets in the past the cool thing about pulse jets is that they are completely free of moving parts and sound really dam wicked. once i get the new engine ill be experimenting with some reed valved jets. ;')

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
Tap. Tap. Tap. Is this thing on? :)

I will try to paint an analogy to make this concept easier to grasp:

The balloon has a hole in it. It doesn't matter how good you are at blowing air, the balloon will never inflate. (you will not achieve a boost condition with a piston ported 2 stroke.)

The hole in question isn't exactly a pin prick. It even has a name. It is called "Exhaust Port"

You must solve this problem first. You must plug the hole. Until you plug it with something you can blow all day long and you will accomplish diddly.

Calling it a supercharger was a good start however. At least a supercharger is some form of compressor and not just a fan. Fan's move air very well but they don't compress air very well. Fan's don't blow balloons up very well.
yeah i know this,in the end my these are all motor engines play with compression exaust intake designs and carbs.but if someone wants to try boosting one of these motors i would rather see them supercharge it .i just find it hard to think that by bringing in more air and fuel you would not make more power which is why most of us port our exaust and intake ports to flow more air and fuel sure you would not create boost but you would be moving some serious air right ;).any who it is a hobby and you will never know for yourself unless you try.i would like to try a different set up some sort of induction system that would help move more air and fuel into the motor but i would not call it boost cause that would raise the you cant do it flag. where im from more air more fuel good tune more power....... dnut

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
yeah that "you can't do that" flag comes up pretty often.
porting the intake and exhaust and a good flowing non restricted muffler and good flowing non restricted intake/filter setup is a good place to start.