Beefed up ignition??

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You guys are no joke.

Somebody make this work please and sell me the pieces I need to make my motorbike super duper!
What's up Steve? I just realized who you were and where you came from:D Welcome to the forum glad you could join us(^)

Where you asking about the Pulsestar plug?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've been trying to get the mag I sent my so called electrical genius to re-do the winding's for me to fire again. I think he should stick to race car ignition systems rotfl.
I found that I have two different sized wire's in the winding..After he said that he could not improve it enough for us to notice I asked him to just put it back they way it was. But now I dont know if he did or we have two sizes of wire in the winding.
I did find a small break in the winding which I'm sure is the problem, but man! it's alot more dificult then I realized to do it. I sure would like to know if that's the way it is with a small and big wire, or that's something he added. He has not returned any of my e-mails or phone calls. I think he knew he screwed it up and is trying to avoid me. :(

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I've been trying to get the mag I sent my so called electrical genius to re-do the winding's for me to fire again. I think he should stick to race car ignition systems rotfl.
I found that I have two different sized wire's in the winding..After he said that he could not improve it enough for us to notice I asked him to just put it back they way it was. But now I dont know if he did or we have two sizes of wire in the winding.
I did find a small break in the winding which I'm sure is the problem, but man! it's alot more dificult then I realized to do it. I sure would like to know if that's the way it is with a small and big wire, or that's something he added. He has not returned any of my e-mails or phone calls. I think he knew he screwed it up and is trying to avoid me. :(
LOL well I guess you knew you were taking a chance there with the mods, no?

Thanks for the welcome Fairracer- I'm excited to find this second source for my new found passion of motorbiking! It's funny to me I've always been a bike guy and have wanted motorbikes etc, ever since I was a kid. I had an old KZ 550 for a while when I lived in Phonenix and it was the greatest thing I ever did for myself. Thinking I'll be needing another "real motorcycle " soon too..

For now though the Spooky is keeping me busy, and intrigued. The little bastard ran 36 mph for me the other day with the slightest of tailwinds on a dead flat. I'm pretty pumped about that and looking for just a little more..

Around here I get looks from everyone from bicyclists, to mosquito fleeters, to full on Harley gang members. Everyone loves the little Spook, especially me! ;)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
LOL well I guess you knew you were taking a chance there with the mods,no?
Yes I knew I was taking a chance, no big deal he did it for free. I just wish I knew if it had two different size's or he left it that way. I think I've seen them for like $20.00, I'll just get a new one then trying to get this one to work. But I would like to use this one to play with to see if we can get some more juice out of it.
Wow 36mph! That's actually pretty good...is that with a 36t sprocket?...Look around this forum there are many thing's you could do to improve your motor. Don't have enough time to tell all of them right now... It would'nt be a bad ideal to go to the introduction thread and introduce yourself, you dont have to but people would like to know who you are and what you are riding. :ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's how those plugs work....the air gas or "gas chamber" make the spark jump the gap and it make the spark a tiny bit hotter. I used to use this trick when my old Sportster would foul a plug- Pull the plug cap off and hold it a quarter inch or so away from the plug tip. It would make the fouled plug light off 90% of the time, but was very hard on the metal clip inside the cap!

Better to use a good, non-resistor plug and a good 7mm wire and cap.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Yes I knew I was taking a chance, no big deal he did it for free. I just wish I knew if it had two different size's or he left it that way. I think I've seen them for like $20.00, I'll just get a new one then trying to get this one to work. But I would like to use this one to play with to see if we can get some more juice out of it.
Wow 36mph! That's actually pretty good...is that with a 36t sprocket?...Look around this forum there are many thing's you could do to improve your motor. Don't have enough time to tell all of them right now... It would'nt be a bad ideal to go to the introduction thread and introduce yourself, you dont have to but people would like to know who you are and what you are riding. :ride2:
Definitely the 36t sprocket. Is that really fast for a Spooky? Seems like as it has broken in my idle is smoother and I'm getting a little more power. Running regular octane fuel with motorcycle oil at recommended mixture ratios..

I'm pumped to learn more about how to make this baby hum. I'm looking for 40 mph. Just so I can try to keep up with a moped or scooter now and then.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The spark plug pulstar incorporates the use of a capaciter. I was looking at a display in a napa auto parts store this is one heck of alot hotter than a little hotter. The display showed stock style plug runing off same coil adjacent to the pulsestar! seeing is beleiving I know, but this got my attention. Sandia Labs in new mexico owns this creation. can't run one of there plugs in our engines. They have an inline capaciter that goes on the top of the spark plug then plug wire goes on top of that probly about 20 dollers to try , it will! chew up the electode faster.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Does anybody know if the ngkb5hs is a resister type plug? only non resister plugs work with the directhits

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
the automotive line for this plug is the ony thing in production. the threaded side is too long for piston clearance. the auto line has the capaciter built into the plug for perfect fit on the cars. Thats where the directhit comes into play for our small engines, which is kinda cool anybody can still use there origional plugs or fool around with diff plugs.They are not incorperating the capaciter into the small plugs yet

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I still say a good, name brand NON-RESISTOR plug and a good aftermarket cap and wire will do these bicycle motors a great service over "stock".

Keep in mind the non resistor plugs make better spark, but are annoying to those around you with T.V. or radios.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes... I think these ignitions are so cheesey that I don't want ANYTHING messing with them, like resistor plugs or running a light off the white wire... although many of you will say your bikes run just fine with them!
I also don't use those cool looking NGK motorcycle sparkplug boots anymore! (I found out they have a resistor in them too!)

Until I can figure out how to make those Honda parts work, I'm just using a non-resistor NGK plug, a MSD boot & clip, & a good wire.
They work OK..., but I'd like it to be better!

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Alright I finaly tried the direct hit by pulstar, it made a little differance. Will have to keep in mind I havent checked my plug to see how my oil mix was, I know that I am running a little rich at this altitude havent jetted the carb yet. currantly runing on a 40 tooth. I can see a differance on the mid range more responce, and power. I am not running any extra stuff on my ignition just for spark only. It was also raining this weakend to.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Itsbeen fives days and about 40 miles of airends. this thing seems to have blown it self out. I havent done any porting no modes just ignition. I've been pretty lucky with my gut feeling on the pulstar gig. I started out with a 52 tooth bike had lots of tork, but just screamed with too much rpms at 18 miles an hour. Then put the stock 44 on wow whole new word but to many rpms at 25 tork seem perfect! Now the 52 was very jerky trying to idle across a parking lot the 44 was much smoother still jerky. Finally got a 40 from andy from inchville [great craftmanship seemed a shame to put it on the bike to see it get a single cratch] I put this thing on whent with a bearing idler no more jerking through parking lots very smooth. However bike just lost its bite power was very dissapointing. Now what I want to say as the engine blew out over these few days It almost runs stronger than the 44 config. I am quit happy with the direct hit from pulstar this thing has never run this good. Gets up to 30 miles an hour quik very smooth at 28 to 29. Just woundering if anybody else has tryed these yet? curious to here input this has been my experiment. One more last ? Its my assumption that running these cdi's on anything with resistince will eventually short out the cdi, because electricity is allways looking for ground. If it gets an easier path it will take it. Now I can see where loading up the cdi with a silicone cable or resister plug could get a hotter spark, dos'nt seem worth it. I'am using a maga size wire like for car amplifiers its of a fine strand design, and screwed into the cdi perfectly. sodered the outher side seems lovy dovy!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
one more reply the service writer installed a set of pulstars on his 90 Toyota 4x4. Today he said his truck, for he can remmember never ran better. Now I'am not a rep for these guys but so far I do dig these things, and from what I'm assuming this direct hit will out live a few motors