performance spark plug?

GoldenMotor.com

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Well wasn't that depressing, checked the plug gap on the BP6HS, it was spot on 25 thou. No difference in performance, although I noticed that the insulator was much paler that with the china plug.
In desperation, I put the spare plug that came with the motor in, and wow, it ran much better, 7kmph faster up the hill I ride every night to work.
So either I had a dud plug, coz I am not going to say that the stock plug is better than an NGK, or I don't know.
I didn't have time to muck with the card slide clip, I thought that it should have been right considering the beautiful brown that the stock plug is.
Do I need to try a different heat range perhaps? I am a relative newbie to 2 strokes.
Cheers
Chris auflg
Hey chris
I have heard on differant post stock gap size was .25
but can you or some one eles please explain how is this?????????????????????????
I'm sorry i find this impossible!!
Or maybe i don't know what i'm talkingt about??
But this is what i done......Ok 0.25 inch is around 6.3 mm!!!!!!!
its a massive gap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wee.
The end of the spark plug is nearly straight!!!
I have owned a few bikes..But i must say my current engine with this plug Runs awsome....It revs right out even going up the hills!!!zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Prolly 'cause someone forgot a zero heh - .025" would be about right, tho I gap mine at .030" which is pretty average;

* narrow-gap risk: spark might be too weak/small to ignite fuel;
* narrow-gap benefit: plug always fires on each cycle;
* wide-gap risk: plug might not fire, or miss at high speeds;
* wide-gap benefit: spark is strong for a clean burn.

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
underneath the motor. you gotta get eye-level to see it, and from the right the chainguard hides it completely.

That bike looks great...
Neat place for the cdi
Your motor is backwards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is this a simple as just move the head the oppisit way????
Is there any benifits of haveing it like that????cvlt1

peeduh

May 27, 2009
Texas
Spooky tooth recommends the B5HS, so I picked one up at the moto shop the other day as well as a plug and it made a big difference. It has a more poweful feel and sound

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
so if I where to order a new spark plug what really is the very best quality I can come across?

also many of the plugs have same number but one says copper and other say resistor, I do not know what that means

Last edited:

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
The resistor plug helps reduce electrical interference in electronic devices like radios. If you get noise in your I-Pod get a resistor plug (-: Any plug will make the motor run. There is no performance gain in a sparkplug in these motors.

Jim

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
if better park plug really as no benefit then what is the purpose of this topic?

at the very least ones that require less energy should make it easier to turn over the engine and less likly to cut out at time you would rather it did not.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Performance" has many meanings, a higher quality plug is less likely to foul with a more consistent spark and may simply last longer... but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll "feel" a difference - you'll defo not if your bike is already running well.

Given the questionable quality of the stock plug included with the kit, I swap 'em out with the NGK B6HS or the the NGK BR6HRS (resistor), I stuck the NGK Iridium BPR6HIX in the Rollfast about 1500 miles ago with no noticeable change - but it's supposed to be for "high durability and a consistently stable spark for long service" so I didn't really expect one ;)

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
A spark plug has nothing to do with how easy the motor turns over. Having the correct heat range plug and the proper fuel - oil mix has more to do with unintended engine outs than the brand or how many electrodes it has.

Jim