idea for a race

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I don't know if anyone watches motogp so this might be way out there but i had an idea that i thought might be cool to do for a race idea. I also haven't attended any of the socal motorized bicycle races either so i dont konw what teh weekend format is like.

from what i see it looks like everyone lines up in a straight line and then they go.

What would be cool is a grid start like they do in motogp.

Also have a qualifying to see who starts in what classes or who starts in what grid position.

I dont know if there are enough people to have a grid start but what i thought could make things even more interesting is: if your qualifying postion was determined by the sum of your fastest two flying laps. BUT... one lap had to be a pedal powered lap. so the fastest of your pedal lap and the fastest of your powered lap. maybe you pedal around in 3:30 and ride powered in 1:45 then your qualifying time would be 5:15

Most people would probably put in one pedal lap and be happy with it and work on their powered lap times but if you were a keen biker with not so much of an edge in yoru motorized riding you coudl move up, or if you were building bikes that were nearly unrideable as a bicycle but a beastly motor. you would be bumped down or forced to adjust your bike to be rideable. I guess that woudl also mean that people couldnt change their bike from qualifying to race then, either because you coudl take your drive chain off or drain your tank or do somethign and gain an advantage.

What do you guys think?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sounds good Josh.

I wan't to do a charity race this spring and have not any sort of idea about how these things work. So, cool and thanx.

Wanna do it for St. Judes kids. We have a picnic most springs and this seems like it would be kinda fun.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
We had several different qualifying and starting procedures when I raced motorcycles in the ASMA. The qualifying, one lap pedaled, then one or two with the motor is brilliant I like that idea a lot. I have another thread about land speed records and having pedal speed plus motor speed in two different runs would make the engineering challenging. Excellent idea. Also my favorite starting procedure in motorcycle racing was called the Le Mans start and we used it for endurance races. All the bikes are held up across the track by a teammate and all the riders have to stand across the track with a hand touching the pit wall, when the flag drops the riders run to their bikes, get them started and take off. Guaranteed exciting start to a race.