No Spark. Been trying for 3 months.

GoldenMotor.com

motormadman

Aug 4, 2014
Illinois
The stock spark plug boot was total junk and literally crumbled apart, but still worked. Well I didn't want a taped up broken part. So, I rode my bike to auto zone, rode as in my engine ran just fine. I bought a new spark plug boot and wire. when i unscrewed the original from the cdi it broke apart completely and is since lost. The new boot wouldn't work. That was three months ago and that was the last time my bike ran. I have tried everything and i can't figure it out. I'm moving to a new town soon and if it doesnt work by then i'm gonna smash the ***** apart. BUT :-||I WANT MY BIKE BACK. PLEASE HELP. http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/Waa.gif

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
i unscrewed the original from the cdi it broke apart completely and is since lost.

What broke apart? the CDI. Sometimes you have to carve out the kit plug wire. I use a dremmel tool with a small carving tip. Just the wire-in the center there is a screw end which you will be screwing your new plug wire onto.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm curious too. What "broke apart"?

If you're trying to use an automotive spark plug boot on the kit plug without the top cap, that's your problem. The kit plug boot requires that the top cap of the plug be removed (a completely stupid concept). Automotive plug boots require the use of a plug with the cap installed.

If while removing the plug wire from the CDI you damaged the little screw-like contact that protrudes up from the area where the wire goes then that is another problem. There is no repair for that you'll have to replace the CDI.

How are you checking for spark? Have you confirmed the ignition wiring, blue and black wires, is correct? Those kit push-together connectors should be removed and the wire splices soldered. Those connectors are notorious for making poor electrical connections.

Lots to read here on ignition (spark) problems. Use the search feature and you'll have many pages to read on ignition troubleshooting. Too much to cover here.

Tom

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi motormadman! Wow really 3 months? Geez I love my MB, I think I'd go out back and shoot myself if I didn't have it running that long, but heay that's just me.

:-||

Mine failed several times the first month. After finding our how the warranty system works at BikeBerry I realized that wouldn't work for me. So I took drastic measures. Bought a second engine and any item that might fail that would keep my MB down for an extended period. There's method to my madness. If a particular system fails, like lets say ignition. You just swap out anything your not absolutely sure is good. It's called process of elimination in old school. It's a very easy way of finding a bad component. In fact right now I'm mounting my backup engine to break it in. I don't want any surprises in the winter. If I have a major failure I want to be able to swap out and go. I plan to do even more riding in the winter.

Primary engine.

http://i.imgur.com/o1xlHag.png

Backup engine almost mounted for break in.

http://i.imgur.com/VFwha8Z.jpg

Hope this helps.

Dave

.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I will add that when changing parts, change only one at a time. Don't arbitrarily change the whole ignition system, CDI, mag, plug etc.
This way you'll know which part was defective.
There are ways of determining if a part is good but if you don't have access to a good V.O.M, volt/ohm meter, then changing parts is the next best way.

Tom

motormadman

Aug 4, 2014
Illinois
The Plastic Spark Plug Boot is what broke apart. The boot is connected to the wire, and the wire screws into the CDI. So, only moments before I removed the Original Boot and Wire my bike was running. To me that indicates that the CDI was working properly, the spark plug was working properly, and the magneto was working properly. It must be the connection (the wire and boot) from the CDI to the Spark Plug. Because that is the only thing different. After the new boot didnt work and the original boot broke apart, I bought a new spark plug as well as another boot and wire to match. Still nothing. Time keeps marching on and Still no working bike. Ive even gone as far as to try off the wall things like just connecting copper wire directly to the two components. Nothing. No Spark, I never can never get it started.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Motor. Man, that is frustrating. Some great advice above and I know you will get it.

Don't break out the hammer yet!

Can you post pictures? you need to post a few more times or post them on a free site like photobucket or the like. Then post links here. Some times it is some thing simple that just gets over looked due to frustration.

Not that this pertains to your situation as you were up and running. But way back there was a new member who after weeks of really trying, turned out his carb was up-side down. Sounds funny but he had never played with motors or wrenches. Good and intelligent guy. He just missed a small but important aspect.

Some really great folks here who enjoy helping out. You will be up and running again.

When she fires up again, is really a great feeling. You'll get it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Motormadman,
Where exactly in Illinois are you? There are several members from your state. Maybe one of them might offer to assist. I'm planning a trip to Collinsville, St.Louis area, and London Mills, near Peoria, in late August. If you're anywhere near those areas maybe I can lend you some advice.

My gut feeling is that when you replaced the spark plug wire you didn't get the conductor screwed into the CDI. Most wire you'll buy from auto parts stores today is resistance wire that doesn't have a metallic conductor but a carbon impregnated thread. If that thread isn't making good contact with the screw terminal in the CDI or the spark plug boot you'll have no spark. Many of us suggest a plug wire with a metallic core; copper is best.

Tom

motormadman

Aug 4, 2014
Illinois
Well see thats what i was thinking, no good connection. I ripped a wire apart to see what was inside and it was a very thin wire infinitely (exaggeration) wrapped around a fiber core of insulation and also wrapped in rubber insulation. Thats when I was like "oh it probably just not making the connection." So I tried plane old copper wiring. (as I said up above) no luck there either. I've tried all combinations of original and new components. Still nothing.