Getting around registering...

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 25, 2008
Here in the UK there are exceptions to driving foreign vehicles with no need to tax or insure.
My question is this and could relate to those in states that also require motored bike registration. Is there no way of 'making' your bike originate from a state/country where they are legal and riding it as a foreign vehicle? if given some thought its not as stupid as it sounds

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Don't think so Mile. In CT, the law is only concerned with where a vehicle is. With no provisions as to place of origin. Found it fascinating when I learned the UK and EU makes exceptions.

Jun 25, 2008
It is only for 6 months for a car etc however i read a forum posting once about a french student in England who brought over a velosolex and whacked an F badge on the rear mudguard. rode as he pleased and never got hassle as the machine was legal over there unregistered.... wondered if that could be replicated somehow and a loophole uncovered....bout time us oppressed MBer's got some slack. Especially with this political nonsense about getting people out of cars. Electric limited to 200w!!? Thats bugger all power, and the UK isn't exactly easy to cycle around!!! The very reason people aren't using straight bicycles if they can help it is the effort of pedalling. Not from being lazy, but one doesn't want to turn up to work drowning in your own bodily fluids!!! Sure some employers have installed showers but they wont pay you and i wouldn't go in early just to take a F***kin shower!!

Jun 25, 2008
I recently put in a patent on a gas/electric hybrid only to discover that this year mopex is launching the mopelex gas/electric velosolex, now this doesn't hurt my patent application because the two designs are so dis-similar in their application, but i'll admit now my intentions weren't evironmental, the aim is that by having the electric it will conform to the electric bike regulations and therefore be an exempt vehicle. that way how although it has an IC engine, how can you register what is already classed as exempt!?

Attachments

Jun 25, 2008
the truth is the electric is so sh** (200w limited to 15mph by UK law) i end up using the engine all the time, but sheesh will this confuse the old boys in blue!!!hahahaha no engine markings and obviously electric....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Mile. Have to run out to a family thing but look forward to hearing more about this. I have an idea for a hybrid and need to figure out what I don't know. Happy holidays!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wut I was thunking is a small engine that powers a gen-bat-motor. Like a diesel electric train. is overly complicated and heavy. dunno.

You have great imagination. Keep pluggin'!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Here in the UK there are exceptions to driving foreign vehicles with no need to tax or insure.
My question is this and could relate to those in states that also require motored bike registration. Is there no way of 'making' your bike originate from a state/country where they are legal and riding it as a foreign vehicle? if given some thought its not as stupid as it sounds
I wonder if you just painted it up with American flags all over it and said, "hey, this came straight from America!" laff

But I know what you're saying. Since there's no markings on the engine to begin with, I wonder if you could engrave something on it to make it appear that it was foreign...dunno

Jun 25, 2008
Well its got chinese symbols!!!maybe that'll work! Paint it in the colours of the peoples republic!!
Sorry Dan but UK law stipulates that the electricity for electric bikes cannot come from mains or a generator but must be from a contained source i.e battery. Did they think we'd install a bumper cart/tram concept for electric bikes??!!! Hate the UK government with a passion, wish my ancestors had stuck their flag on this sorry island and had an evolved sense of Motored Bicycle sympathy and of inventions yet to come!!

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
That 200w ruling is just plain stupid. But I think from my research that it originated in Asia? All the complete bikes that come from there are 250w max and pedelec as I believe that is what their laws allow after their ban on the 2 stroke about 10 years ago. So somehow that transferred to the UK and Europe because that meshed with what was made available from the source of supply.

It is funny though that our governments say they are all about conserving energy to get votes, but in the end do nothing for that cause. Time for a Global tea party!

Jun 25, 2008
You bang on the money with the political hypocrasy! I'd vote for any chap who rode a MB to the houses of parliament rather than a merc!

From my wikipedia sourced understanding the 250w is roughly 1/4hp which the POLITICIANS deemed to be enough as it is the calculated output of the average human.

WHAT UTTER RUBBISH

Jun 25, 2008
Hahahahah just realised, if pulled i can say, "Yes constable, its an electric bike. What? THAT thing?? Oh thats just my 48cc 2 stroke generator for my electric headlight!!!" Wonder how long he smiles for... LOL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Would having a generator on the bike still be illegal even with it off? Topping off the batts just when needed.
Have a theory about the restricting laws being passed when no western organization made scooters or the like and they were intended in part to keep Japan out of the western market.

Jun 25, 2008
Here are the UK laws and correct me if my interpretation is wrong, if there are any lawyers reading feel free to post a correction...
Registration is required for (remember there is no classification for motorised bicycles)

Definitions of vehicle types:
Mopeds
Low Powered Moped
 A moped with pedals,
 With auxiliary propulsion not exceeding 1kW, and
 A maximum design speed not exceeding 25km/h (16mph).

2 wheeled vehicle
 With a maximum design speed not exceeding 45km/h (28mph) (48km/h[30mph] if manufactured before 08/08/03),
 Fitted with an internal combustion engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50cc, or
 Fitted with an electric motor with a maximum continuous power not exceeding 4kW.

The UK government in all their wisdom deem a MB to be a moped...

Registration does NOT apply to

Cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of
0.25kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25km/h, or sooner, if
the cyclist stops pedalling.

Therefore i feel my hybrid sits more in the exempt status than the registration as the Exemption statement more closely describes the vehicle.

How do you guys see it?

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Why not just take the 2 wheeled vehicle option? I know it requires registration but is that a bad thing all in all? How much would a registration cost? I know that here in the US which is a much larger area broken in to more individual states that at some point MAB's will have to be recognized and at that time registration will become mandatory, whether state by state or under federal regs adopted by all. But because of their low impact on the roads and environment I am hoping that the regulators will see the benefit in their existence and make those fees nominal in hopes of attracting more users.

At least one can hope eh?

Jun 25, 2008
Why not just take the 2 wheeled vehicle option? I know it requires registration but is that a bad thing all in all? How much would a registration cost? I know that here in the US which is a much larger area broken in to more individual states that at some point MAB's will have to be recognized and at that time registration will become mandatory, whether state by state or under federal regs adopted by all. But because of their low impact on the roads and environment I am hoping that the regulators will see the benefit in their existence and make those fees nominal in hopes of attracting more users.

At least one can hope eh?
Registration is currently a very unattractive proposition, namely because the whole process will cost something like this.

£74.00 + £16 re-test if fails
£25 extra for Registration if passes
£15 per year ROAD TAX!!!!! I know BL**DY ridiculous
£50-£70 insurance if you can find a broker who'll do it (v. rare)
£55 MOT Test every year

Plus you need to take another test, a CBT, on top of your drivers license costing from £70 to around £100. This test is only valid for two years.
In order to get a full license £80.00
Rider would also have to wear full size motorbike helmet which would look absolutely ridiculous and considering you'll be travelling at cyclist speed (normally) not necessary.

Total cost = £369.00 / $541.014 plus cost of motorcycle helmet, bike, engine etc

That done, you have just blown most of your fuel savings for the next three years and will look like a character from donkey kong whenever you work up the courage to use it!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow! Bummer Mile. Is sad how complicated. Given fuel costs and the size of roads over your way, seems MBs would be a perfect answer. Do the cops bother you? Here, I wave and they look away.
As a dealer, have you thought of getting political? Time is right. Find young hot reporter in to the "green" thing. Just ridding around local paper's office around lunch time will get you some press. (I know, evil)
Next time some one laments over getting a ticket I going to post a link to here.

Jun 25, 2008
Police haven't bothered me once nor have i had a report of any of our customers getting into hot water, one chap was pulled over travelling 23mph only to be told if he wanted to use his bike with the engine not to exceed 15mph. If he wished to go faster on public roads it would require registration. That was in Birmingham city centre. Truth is the police don't seem to have a clue and i bet unless someone is posing a risk to the public or riding it unsociably i.e without a baffle then you'll be left alone. The other aspect is the paperwork involved prosecuting someone who is causing no harm and actually doing a service to the community and environment!