Lighting it up! wiring help.

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Kitersfun,
take your red lead from the volmeter and see what the voltage is at the brown wire. You should also see ~12.3v there. Next, push the horn button and measure the voltage at the yellow wire and let me know what voltage you get there.
If you get nothing at the yellow wire with the button push all the way down. You either have a bad connection from the brown wire to the push button terminal, or the yellow wire connection to the push button terminal is also bad. The wire should be ok, but where they are connected are bad. Check both terminals at the horn button, and the contact on the button to the terminals.
If you want to check and see if you have a bad wire, change your voltmeter setting to 200ohms and measure from the both ends of the wire. You should see .001 - .2ohms range

Last edited:

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Kitersfun,
take your red lead from the volmeter and see what the voltage is at the brown wire. You should also see ~12.3v there. Next, push the horn button and measure the voltage at the yellow wire and let me know what voltage you get there.
If you get nothing at the yellow wire with the button push all the way down. You either have a bad connection from the brown wire to the push button terminal, or the yellow wire connection to the push button terminal is also bad. The wire should be ok, but where they are connected are bad. Check both terminals at the horn button, and the contact on the button to the terminals.
If you want to check and see if you have a bad wire, change your voltmeter setting to 200ohms and measure from the both ends of the wire. You should see .001 - .2ohms range
So the brown and yellow wires aren't giving me any reading, but when I measure the horn button terminal directly and press the horn button down, I get something like .003. So the button works? That's odd because when I've tested my horn directly to the horn button using the jumper cables it didn't seem to work either.

I'm confused

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Hey guys, hey Magna sorry I haven't replied to your pm. I've decide to get a heavy duty 12v battery before I continue because it seems like my AA batteries are drained quicly by my setup.

Does anyone have any recommendations on small scooter/ mini bike batteries?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The few times in the past that I have needed a compact 12 volt battery for a bicycle/ scooter project I just bought one of the power wheels batteries from Walmart. They are sealed AGM style and friendly to work with. No special charger needed, you don't need a power wheels charger, just a low current charger such as one for a motorcycle.
Even a 12 volt, 1 amp output generic power supply will work. Just don't over charge them. 8 hour overnight charging should be fine.
That said, automatic "floating" motorcycle chargers take the guesswork out of it and are the easiest to use.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That battery is pretty much the same as a power wheels battery, only the one you shared seems to also come with a plastic box to hold it in.
It should work just fine for you.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
kitesrfun1... What are you using to charge this 12 volt battery? The white wire of a 2 stroke engine? Doesn't look like those AA batteries will last long powering all that stuff on your bike.