Is this a good bike to motorize?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I just got a skyhawk gt5 66cc and I wanted to know if this would be a good bike to put it on. http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/bik/3899740680.html
Or would a beach cruiser be better?
Did a quick search on it, Found some bad reviews on Amazon. Still couldn't find out if it was a steel or aluminum frame. I think steel is always better, but with a 4 stroke and less vibration than a 2 Stroke aluminum might be OK. Just make sure the motor will fit in the space allowed.
If it were me, (just MY opinion,) I would look around for a little better bike to start with. Like I said, I didn't see a lot of GOOD reviews on this bike. If ya don't mind rebuilding a bike then it could be alright. The reviews said the rims were weak and bent easy. Almost ANY bike can be made right with enough work, money, blood, sweat, ect.
My advice, Find a STEEL frame bike, (Mountain bike or cruiser, that's just a matter of preference,) with steel rims and at least 12 guage spokes.
Mountain bikes are just easier to build cause they already have front and rear brakes, While Cruisers usually only have coaster brakes and will need more and better brakes installed. I ride a Cruiser, (a Huffy Cranbrook,) But have been building motorized bikes for years and had all the parts I needed to do it right.
Hope this helps some,
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Looks good from my house. I used a really crappy generic mountain bike and it works great so far. I am sure it will work out just fine!
Hey bro, Did you do ANY research on the bike? And I'm sorry you used a really crappy bike for your build, But please don't advise someone else to use a crappy bike.
I've been building Motorized Bikes for around 8 years and have over 100 builds behind me. Not bragging, just fact.
What you want to do is START with the best bike you can find and/or afford. Even a good one thats used is better than a new crappy bike.
On this site we try to give the new guys the best advice possible. Telling someone it's OK to use, in your words, "A really crappy bike" is not in the spirit of this forum.
Ride your bike for a couple years and get a lot more builds behind you before you start trying to give advice. You obviously need a little more experience.
Sorry if I sound like an a$$, I'm here to pass on the knowledge I've aquired over many years of building and forum time, And I would NEVER tell someone it's OK to use a really crappy bike.
fatdaddy.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I think I kinda gotta agree with fatdaddy here. No doubt in my mind that LDS meant well. But we should be very careful about saying, "Ride anything! You'll be fine...".

I don't view motorized bicycles as dangerous in themselves. But there's a certain risk that needs to be managed properly. Mechanical failure is much more threatening than it is on a pedal bike.

That said, I think the 'quality' of the rider --i.e.; maintenance skills, riding style and technique-- counts for more just which bike is used. After, that is, dismissing all bikes that are just plain junk.

So if it were me; I'd judge that Pacifica to be acceptable. Assuming it's not aluminum. But there are other bikes to be had inexpensively that I'd be more enthusiastic about.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I think I kinda gotta agree with fatdaddy here. No doubt in my mind that LDS meant well. But we should be very careful about saying, "Ride anything! You'll be fine...".

I don't view motorized bicycles as dangerous in themselves. But there's a certain risk that needs to be managed properly. Mechanical failure is much more threatening than it is on a pedal bike.

That said, I think the 'quality' of the rider --i.e.; maintenance skills, riding style and technique-- counts for more just which bike is used. After, that is, dismissing all bikes that are just plain junk.

So if it were me; I'd judge that Pacifica to be acceptable. Assuming it's not aluminum. But there are other bikes to be had inexpensively that I'd be more enthusiastic about.
Well said blue. I guess I kind of get carried away sometimes. Not that I said anything I regret, I think I simply might have been a little more diplomatic about the WAY I said it.
And yeah, The bike might be just fine. I personally would not use it after reading the reviews on it. I would suggest finding better wheels for it though. What I read said the wheels taco'd easy. Steel rims, 10 or 12 guage spokes is the way to go.
fatdaddy.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
What bike? I don't see anything. Well, it musta been a Huffy or something if its that bad. I used to think steel was better too.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
........ I personally would not use it after reading the reviews on it. I would suggest finding better wheels for it though. What I read said the wheels taco'd easy. Steel rims, 10 or 12 guage spokes is the way to go.
fatdaddy.
Good point. Bad wheels will bring you to a grinding halt awful quick.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
What bike? I don't see anything. Well, it musta been a Huffy or something if its that bad. I used to think steel was better too.
Here's my "bad" Huffy, I've been riding it for 2 years, No problem. I've installed suspension forks and cantilevers since this pic. Now, Lets see your bike.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I have seen some Huffy's at wall mart that were welded pretty bad and others that looked great. If you like yours then great.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I have seen some Huffy's at wall mart that were welded pretty bad and others that looked great. If you like yours then great.
Just hadda defend my baby. But yeah kev, The 2009 Huffy's were put together with a cheaper weld and smaller spokes. The 2010 and 2011's came out with the heavy duty welds and 12 guage spokes. But it's like ANYTHING made in China, Ya gotta be carefull and know what yer buying.
fatdaddy.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Hey bro, Did you do ANY research on the bike? And I'm sorry you used a really crappy bike for your build, But please don't advise someone else to use a crappy bike.
I've been building Motorized Bikes for around 8 years and have over 100 builds behind me. Not bragging, just fact.
What you want to do is START with the best bike you can find and/or afford. Even a good one thats used is better than a new crappy bike.
On this site we try to give the new guys the best advice possible. Telling someone it's OK to use, in your words, "A really crappy bike" is not in the spirit of this forum.
Ride your bike for a couple years and get a lot more builds behind you before you start trying to give advice. You obviously need a little more experience.
Sorry if I sound like an a$$, I'm here to pass on the knowledge I've aquired over many years of building and forum time, And I would NEVER tell someone it's OK to use a really crappy bike.
fatdaddy.
Well sorry then. I didn't actually think I was giving bad advice and I was saying a crappy bike as comparison to as in that bike looks like a nice solid bike in comparison to what I used. I meant no offense. I didn't actually mean "hey buddy we got two wheels let's make it work with some JB weld"

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Well sorry then. I didn't actually think I was giving bad advice and I was saying a crappy bike as comparison to as in that bike looks like a nice solid bike in comparison to what I used. I meant no offense. I didn't actually mean "hey buddy we got two wheels let's make it work with some JB weld"
No harm no foul bro. I just try to be VERY carefull with the advice I give to the new guy's. Sometimes ya get lucky and the bike thats been laying around in your backyard works out great. Other times not so much. Starting with a cheapo bike just means yer gonna be fixing it a lot more in the long run. And sometimes it's just downright dangerous. The reveiws I saw said the wheels were cheap and gave out easy. Ya really don't want a wheel crapping out at 35mph. So I just couldn't recommend a bike that might get the guy killed. Thats why I later suggested perhaps changing the wheelset to steel rims with at least 12 guage spokes. Nothing bad was said about the rest of the bike, just mainly the wheels. So the bike might be OK if he gets rid of the cheapo wheels. So just be carefull bro, We're trying not to get people hurt or worse while they are simply trying to enjoy the ride.
fatdaddy.