who's the next Mcgyver....

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Question for those inventive souls out there. I want to use a solid scooter sprocket as a rear sprocket on another ebike maybe. On the same side as the China bike sprocket would go. Make kind of a rack mount thing. So here is the problem. I can't fine any of those lil ole fiber gaskets for sale.

If we can't find one how do we make something that will work. I think we could use those big fender washers that look about an inch and a half in diameter on the rear instead of those metal plates. The fiber gaskets are the thing that is bothering me. I'm wondering about the cutting big round disks out of the treaded part of an old tire for both inside and outside gaskets.

Surely someone knows where I could just buy the fiber gaskets. It looks like it should be a plumbing part to me.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
yep, an old tire should work. A large heater hose ought to be able to be sliced and spread out flat then cut into a donut as well.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You got a hole saw that big? I got about a two inch one is the biggest I have. How big would it need to be. I'll have to measure them when I get the sprocket and kit from Joe. (thanks again joe)

I checked on ebay I can get a five inch hole saw. I will pick one up then run by a tire store and see if i can get a junk tire to chop on.

thanks for the info on buying them but I think it would be like building a car by buying all the parts at advance auto. Would end up being a hundred times more than buying one at the showroom. I was hoping someone might know a gasket that was used in some other endeavor that could be adapted lol.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can tell right now this needs to be a permanent feature in DIY.. You guys know how to think out of the box.

I'm thinking my saber saw to cut a square from the tire,,, then trim the corners to get a stop sign type thing. I have a couple of small hole saws so cut the center out to make the donut. No expense if I can get a junk tire.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'm thinking my saber saw to cut a square from the tire,,, then trim the corners to get a stop sign type thing. I have a couple of small hole saws so cut the center out to make the donut. No expense if I can get a junk tire.
yep, no reason it needs to be perfectly round.

For a tire, just drive down the highway, you're bound to get some free tire pieces :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
At my age I would probably get a huge hospital bill from trying unsuccessfully to dodge the traffic while I rescued the tire frags...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I've cut tires with a hacksaw, and it was much easier than cutting wood, more like cutting thick cardboard. You should be able to make perfect circles with a saber saw.

I agree, deacon...DIY. I live in a townhouse. If I had a house, I's have at least one DIY bike.^5

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My mother in law passed and we tried to sell her town house for two years. I would think about buying it and selling our big old house but kept coming back to they would raise the devil if I worked on a bike even in the back yard.

So we finally sold it to someone and now I am not tempted any longer.

well tire it is for me.