20" wheels

GoldenMotor.com

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i now that some ppl have done this. put an engine on 20" wheel bike.
am thinking about doing this for my second build.

what should i look out for?
ex. 50t pocket on 26" wheel is equivalent to what on a 20"?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a 50t would probably do burn-outs on a 20" wheel, and only go 15mph.

the smaller the wheel, the less power it takes to get rolling.

ultimately, top speed suffers compared to a 26" bike. it's just simple physics.

i've got a 20" race bike that's competitive against the big guys.

it's built around a 26" frame, though.

the wheels i used are 16" moped wheels, which are the same as 20" bike wheels. that means you can use a 16" moped or motorcycle tire on a 20" bicycle wheel.

i use pirelli ml75's on mine.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
not looking for speed or competition... just want a Kool little cruiser for about 20-30KPH, if i get more great :)

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Whoa, those Pirellis are nice! If I put more work into my 20" ebike, I might just switch to those from the stock 2.4" knobbies! The extra height for a little more top end would be nice.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yeah, the pirelli's are awesome. and they were only 16 bucks each.

and they're about 100 times more flat resistant than a bicycle tire, as well as being dot rated for 64mph.

they're pretty freakin heavy, though.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
you can find 16" moped wheels on ebay for pretty cheap.

the hubs are a lot wider and the axles are thicker, but the sprocket's mounted to it. i'm running a 35t and with a modified 66cc it tops out at 43mph.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'd go for the 36. the 20" will take off much faster than a 26 because it takes a lot less effort to get rolling.

i'm assuming you're not a big guy (since you're building a smaller bike) so a 36 should pull you around pretty good.

if the motor is gonna stay basically stock, you'll probably top out around 30mph, maybe a little more.

if you go 44, the motor's gonna rev out like crazy and probably do 20mph.

my 20" racer has a 32 and still keeps up with the big bikes. but the engine's been worked over pretty good.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i'd go for the 36. the 20" will take off much faster than a 26 because it takes a lot less effort to get rolling.
....{snip}...
if the motor is gonna stay basically stock, you'll probably top out around 30mph, maybe a little more.

if you go 44, the motor's gonna rev out like crazy and probably do 20mph.
ok thx thats what i was looking for.

i'm assuming you're not a big guy (since you're building a smaller bike) so a 36 should pull you around pretty good.
im not a monster by any means lol
im 5'9" 180lbs ..

but what ur saying about the speed of the sprockets sounds about what im looking for. nothing super fast. but a good cruiser.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
At least a 36 tooth,,may want to go up a few teeth in the front as well bro..,,Im no scientist but 6"makes a huge difference,,your gonna get tired of cruising around at pedal speed after a while...lol.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
At least a 36 tooth,,may want to go up a few teeth in the front as well bro..,,Im no scientist but 6"makes a huge difference,,your gonna get tired of cruising around at pedal speed after a while...lol.
i know that the wheel size is gonna change the speeds drastically, just wasnt sure by how much. thats Y i asked about it.
im not gonna worry about goin too slow or fast on the 20inch wheels. its not gonna be a long haul rider. thats what my 26incher is for.
20-30mph is probly MORE than enough.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Lemme know how you make out,,
I plan on building a 20"one of these days also,,maybe you can take some of the guess work out for me,,I would like to cruise 20-25 mph also,,30 mph on a 20"is flyin!! :)

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Question about the 16" motorcycle tires (like the Pirelli ML75) on a 20" bicycle rim, I assume you are running a tube with those. How hard is it to mount onto the bicycle rim. Is it the sort of thing I can "easily" do in my garage with hand tools like a regular bicycle tire, or do I need to take it to a shop?

I assume the carcass is a lot stiffer.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
they are a lot stiffer, but you should be able to do it yourself. i didn't have a problem.

they are tube type tires. i have the heavy duty moped tubes with metal stems.

you could probably use bike tubes, but the moped ones are pretty cheap, too.