Where to find 3/8 axle long enough to fit motorcycle forks?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am building up an older Schwinn cantilever frame with a 98cc Lifan engine and I have bought a pair of Suzuki K10 hydraulic motorcycle forks to use on this build. I know that a standard bicycle axle is too short by at least 2". Can anyone recommend where I can get a 3/8 axle about 2-3" longer than a standard front bicycle axle? Using Worksman front wheel with drum brake, so it has to be 3/8 to thread on to my cones. Thanks.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Iam pretty sure Pat at Sportsman Flyer used some superwide forks on the Bonneville Flyer maybe He could sell you a length

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If all else fails, buy some 3/8" threaded rod at the hardware store and cut to desired length.

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.
Sometimes anything extra helps,but I couldn't pay 13 dollars more for 2mm.Looks like the same company makes them.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
3/8" Chinese ****steel rod is not going to work for an axle for a toy tonka truck. You need Chromoly for a fork doing 35 m.p.h. Google Harris Cycle(Sheldon Brown stuff) and get a chromoly rear tandem bicycle axle. If you can't find one long enough on there you shouldn't be putting it on a bicycle or a Harley.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
3/8" Chinese ****steel rod is not going to work for an axle for a toy tonka truck. You need Chromoly for a fork doing 35 m.p.h. Google Harris Cycle(Sheldon Brown stuff) and get a chromoly rear tandem bicycle axle. If you can't find one long enough on there you shouldn't be putting it on a bicycle or a Harley.
Whats with the attitude bro?

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Don't forget the cones of the hub you want to use need to match the axle your buying. I know it sounds obvious but more than likely it will be a problem.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The axle I looked at is 3/8x26tpi. I'm gonna take the axle that's on the wheel now and go to a garage around the corner from me and see if they have a pitch gauge to see if its the same or not. I'll go from there.