Rear wheel aqlignment

GoldenMotor.com

Onyxmizer

Nov 26, 2012
texas
I'm having trouble with my rear wheel. I hit a small bump and the wheel was knocked a little lose leaving it out of line. It rubs up against the the frame now. After loosening the lugs and what not, resetting the wheel in the grooves of the frame and tightening it back up again, the wheel now locks up without rubbing against anything. Is there a "best" technique for realigning the wheel? Is it ok to turn the bike upside down (which would make it easier to get at)?

the system is roughly this: (i'm sure a simple picture would be easier)

this is the best i can come up with <-- click!

(= | [] w aaaa v [] | =)

nut>frame/mount>nut>sprocket> axle >bikechain>nut>frame>nut.

It seems like the inner nuts align the axle and sprockets left and right along the bolt, while the outer nuts seem to only secure the wheel to the frame.

The clutch is NOT engaged. the wheel will simply rotate about half way then seize up or is too loose to ride. any tips? should I take it to a shop and have them explain it to me?

update: as ive been told it may be that my axle is broken as the wheel is able to wiggle side to side

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Either a broken or bent rear axle would be my guess. If you can't adjust the bearings with the cone (inner) nuts, something is wrong internally. Is this a single speed, coaster brake hub or what?
If you can tell the brand and model you might be able to find an exploded view of it on the net somewhere and fix it yourself. If you don't feel confident tearing into it, let a bike shop take a look. Whatever, don't ride it like it is. You'll only do more damage and possibly injure yourself if that hub locks up.

Tom