First timer questions.

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good eveing all,
I come seeking advice on a first time setup. I have a very limited budget and have been researching friction setups, belt drives, and china girls as it seems they are affectionately called.
Cost prohibits me from belt drives and friction setups, and the 66/80cc setups really intrigue me.
At first I was thinking about a ebay BGF setup but have heard they may not be the best of quality. I have also been looking at some of the fine retailers advertised here, such as Gasbike and BikeBerry. I am not going to ask which is better, instead I am going to ask what is the difference in their product and what experiences have you had with them. Would I have to go over them with a fine tooth comb as I would with a BGF setup? Are their engines really any different at the heart than a BGF?
Also along those lines what is the different between the different makes (GRUBEE, Flying Horse, MegaMotor, RB80, etc..)?
I have a good platform to build on. My next door neighbor set a perfectly good Gary Fisher Capitola out to curb for trash. So I rescued it and tried to sell it but it seems no one wants its. Perhaps its fate that it didn't sell so that I can build a motor bike on it.
Thank you all for an awesome (and mature) forum and a great resource!!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Good eveing all,
I come seeking advice on a first time setup. I have a very limited budget and have been researching friction setups, belt drives, and china girls as it seems they are affectionately called.
Cost prohibits me from belt drives and friction setups, and the 66/80cc setups really intrigue me.
At first I was thinking about a ebay BGF setup but have heard they may not be the best of quality. I have also been looking at some of the fine retailers advertised here, such as Gasbike and BikeBerry. I am not going to ask which is better, instead I am going to ask what is the difference in their product and what experiences have you had with them. Would I have to go over them with a fine tooth comb as I would with a BGF setup? Are their engines really any different at the heart than a BGF?
Also along those lines what is the different between the different makes (GRUBEE, Flying Horse, MegaMotor, RB80, etc..)?
I have a good platform to build on. My next door neighbor set a perfectly good Gary Fisher Capitola out to curb for trash. So I rescued it and tried to sell it but it seems no one wants its. Perhaps its fate that it didn't sell so that I can build a motor bike on it.
Thank you all for an awesome (and mature) forum and a great resource!!
I have a thread in swap & shop with a link tom a good, cheap seller with great customer service if you have any warranty issues. I've bought several kits from this guy and have had only one issue with a dead coil which he replaced no questions asked. 140$ delivered. It's about the best value I could find after buying from several different places including bikeberry and dax.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I thank you kindly for the recommendation, but I have purchased and am currently awaiting the delivery of a Flying Horse from BikeBerry.com.
I do however have another question. The bike I am going to be building on had an exposed brake line running along the top of the frame where the gas tank will sit. What would be the best way of making sure the tank does not interfere with the brake line?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I thank you kindly for the recommendation, but I have purchased and am currently awaiting the delivery of a Flying Horse from BikeBerry.com.
I do however have another question. The bike I am going to be building on had an exposed brake line running along the top of the frame where the gas tank will sit. What would be the best way of making sure the tank does not interfere with the brake line? ---------------------------------------- Use an old outer cable sheath to keep the tank from pinning it. You could also make some small blocks with a groove for the cable to run in.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I do however have another question. The bike I am going to be building on had an exposed brake line running along the top of the frame where the gas tank will sit. What would be the best way of making sure the tank does not interfere with the brake line?
I used strips of a rubber sheet (about 1/16" thick) built up in a T shape between the frame and the tank to allow the cable room to move. Several 1/2" wide strips as the base and then a 3/4" and 1" wide top strip. If you have it, the double-sided tape that comes in a window film kit is handy to hold it together, it's really thin. I also used a couple of very small cable ties looped around the tank studs and the cable sheath to keep the cable from pulling into the rubber and pinching, as I found that was a problem that would sometimes develop over a few weeks of riding.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I do however have another question. The bike I am going to be building on had an exposed brake line running along the top of the frame where the gas tank will sit. What would be the best way of making sure the tank does not interfere with the brake line? ---------------------------------------- Use an old outer cable sheath to keep the tank from pinning it. You could also make some small blocks with a groove for the cable to run in.
Exactly what I've done...detatch the brake cable from the brakes and run an old short piece of cable covering from old brake setups...and tape the new cable cover in place so it doesn't vibrate away and expose the cable...