Headset ????

GoldenMotor.com

Bayouself69

Sep 4, 2012
Pineville,Louisiana
I just got a bare frame from Bicyle Designers
the head tube measures 1.125 ID it is 4 an 3/8" long
My Question is do I need a ! an 1/8 headset?
I have a Felt Jerry Springer fork that is 1 an 1/8 threaded
So I think this will work out.

any answers will be welcome as this is the first bike I build from the ground upbrnot

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Yes, you'll need a 1 1/8 in. headset. But the headset has to be compatible with the forks you're planning to use. And one more thing, I usually have the headset installed at a bicycle shop because there are special tools that are required. Don't use a piece of wood to hammer it in, but some people do that. You can search you tube how a headset is installed on a frame. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPX1sFm4kwg

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
two blocks of wood with a hole drilled threw them, and a chunk of threaded rod and nuts to pull them in, home made headset press. i refused to pay 15 bucks every few weeks as a kid to have the LBS pop out and replace my cracked headset cups, once i got a FSA pig, that ended. and if the frame is steel, you can tap in the headset with a rubber mallet, just go evenly around it, if the frame is aluminum, then do dont want to do that, on aluminum frames use a press, but for 4 bucks you can make your own press

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just got a bare frame from Bicyle Designers
the head tube measures 1.125 ID it is 4 an 3/8" long
My Question is do I need a ! an 1/8 headset?
I have a Felt Jerry Springer fork that is 1 an 1/8 threaded
So I think this will work out.

any answers will be welcome as this is the first bike I build from the ground upbrnot
That frame will probably use a 1" headset, so you may not be able to use a 1 1/8" fork, but you might be able to change the steerer tube to a 1" one.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
If you can tell me whether it is an integrated set or not... I will give you the part that lets you use 1' tube in 1 1/8' headset. Assuming you need it.