Thought I'd start my posts with something easy for you guys...

GoldenMotor.com

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
Well it seems home depot don't carry em or the guy was just an idiot. That said, so I can online shop these I need the size info on these rear wheel sprocket bolts if anyone knows with a 100% certainty... Ty.

Sent from my PANTECH Crossover ™ on AT&T via Forum Runner.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
if its the same diameter it should work as long as you get the nuts and stuff for them
Except what I just said was that home depot doesn't carry grade eight bolts so I need to online shop em now. Which means I need to know what I'm shopping for in size.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
The stock hardware is metric. Grade 5 and 8 are SAE.

Stock thread is M6-1.0. Length is 40mm.

The hardware that comes with the kit is only slightly harder than parmesan cheese. Standard metric screws will be grade 8.8. The next stronger is 12.9.

Order from mcmaster.com
92855A631 and 90685A043
^screws^ and ^nuts^

If you order them tonight, you will have them in your hands on tuesday.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
do you have a real hardware store like ACE or true value ?
Other than HD, just a value home center that I'd be willin to walk to. Anything closer is a thirty minute drive and the cars in the crapper hence the bike project.

The stock hardware is metric. Grade 5 and 8 are SAE.

Stock thread is M6-1.0. Length is 40mm.

The hardware that comes with the kit is only slightly harder than parmesan cheese. Standard metric screws will be grade 8.8. The next stronger is 12.9.

Order from mcmaster.com
92855A631 and 90685A043
^screws^ and ^nuts^

If you order them tonight, you will have them in your hands on tuesday.
Thx for that, haven't hit the site yet but what about g8 washers and lock washers or do I just use the with kit ones ?

Get the nuts too. The stock ones are buttery soft like the screws. it's $5 for a box of 100.
Already planned on that one heh

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
The stock washers and lockwashers should be okay. Ditch the lock washers if you switch to a locknut. you can get locknuts in a better grade too. Also, you should still periodically check torque on hardware even if you use a locknut or locknut.

I prefer to use a lockwasher and regular nut. But that's just me.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
Ok, so I got bored and test fit the rear wheel. Seems like a good idea.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Definately got tire clearance but the alignments off with the engine sprocket. So ya, it looks like I'll have to flip the rear sprocket which ain't so bad since I gotta replace all the bolts but at least I know with g8 stuff I can tighten the heck out of these to get em nice n' tight but also close to being inline with the engine sprocket.

I held the chain in to where it sligns with the engine and it looks like the rear sprocket flip will do the trick !

I fear my main issue though will be even tightening less I can find someone near me with one of those gauge things that can lock the tire down and spin it with that gauge thing (whatever it's called) sitting on the sprocket to see if it bounces to indicate better tightening is needed.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
If theres no gas in your bike , don,t worry about a guage to true up the sprocket .
flip the bike upside down on the bars and seat , and spin the tire ... your gonna see where it needs to tighten up to get it stait .

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
If theres no gas in your bike , don,t worry about a guage to true up the sprocket .
flip the bike upside down on the bars and seat , and spin the tire ... your gonna see where it needs to tighten up to get it stait .
There's no gas in it but even that might prove to be a pain.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4siUJi9NI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok, so I got the new bolts from mcmaster today, got em on and the tire looks to be as true as I'm gonna get it. There's still some barely noticeable movement but I think that's just some vertical movement because it doesn't sit truely centered on the hub. Please watch the video and post your thoughts... movement in the beginning is the bike bouncing but it settles around the twelce second mark or so.

Anyway, the sprocket seems to spin true but should I really worry about a slight vertical offset since it's not a left to right chain popping wobble ?

Without a 6 speed hub adapter this is as good as it gets for me ;-/

Edit: There might be a slight left to right but its not very noticable if there is.

Last edited: