Building my own wheels

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
I am planing to build my own wheels for my board track era tribute bike. I just got a nice pair of 26x2.125 wheels off eBay they have aluminum rims and they appear to have never been used. I want to lace the front one up with a bicycle drum brake hub. The rear wheel will use the rear hub from a Puch moped which has a free wheel sprocket, a fixed drive sprocket and a drum brake too. I hope my combination is going to be strong enough. What do you think? I want to get heavy duty stainless steel spokes. Who is a good supplier and how do I determine the length?

Thanks!

Mike

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The easiest way is to hand over the rims & hubs to a bike shop & tell them to handle it... (probably the cheapest (& easiest) way).
The harder way is to find some same size wheels that have the size hub & carefully measure the spokes, & then have a bike shop cut you some spokes & then try to lace them your self.. (probably a lot more expensive (& harder)). :/

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
google "spoke length calculator" and fill in the blanks.

husky industrial bikes sells 11 and 12 g spokes for a fair price.

whatever the spoke calculator tells you, there's room to fudge it. if the only spokes you can find are a little too long, you can dremel the tips off after the wheels built.

most bike shops cost 25 and up per wheel for the labor.

Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
The labor does not scare me in the least. I am actually looking forward to lacing these bad boys up. I just want to be sure I choose a safe and reliable combination of parts to build my wheels. My bike is going to have a 7hp engine so braking and stability are very critical.

Mike