Easiest build possible

GoldenMotor.com

i82much

Jul 31, 2012
Spokane WA
Hi all,

First post. Looked around a bit and saw some different things people have done. I tend to be super busy during the summer so I was wondering if there was a standard or really easy recipe for a build that folks have done. I don't think I need anything special, just a motorized mountain bike that will go up and down trails in Idaho and maybe something where I can disconnect the engine fairly easily to keep the forest service happy on the nonmotorized trails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Steve

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Mines not a mountain bike - but 88 dollar walmart cranbrook and that's dax 80cc kit 179 + shipping. Easiest bolt on I ever done and no serious mods. (Left off chain tensioner from kit to avoid it getting in spokes. Had to add a link to bicycle chain so it lined up perfect and lastly removed rear fender. Could have kept it but I didn't feel like notching it for motor chain) I use this regularly on trail rides and pulls mt big arse around no problems. Little sluggish up steep grades but ht motor is always like that. Remember to pack the botom bracket and rear rim with good grease \m/

Austin Reyes

Jul 30, 2012
Fredericksburg, Texas
Here's a tip. Even though the grubee gt5 is listed as $179 on the website give them a call and ask for the lowest price they can give you, for said kit. I got the customer representative down to $160 + Shipping. Which ended up to be $186. I live in central texas btw.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
there's no such thing as "an easy build" when it comes to chinese 2 stroke kits.
you will have to modify something along the way.
don't expect to bolt a chinese engine kit to a bike right out of the box and be riding it in a few hours.

i82much

Jul 31, 2012
Spokane WA
Hmm. Could be wrong but it seems like the friction drive kits usually come with smaller engines. I would like to do some pretty darn steep hills. Maybe I should be looking at the frame mount kits like grubee and doing a little more work.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
$500 is enough to go good. Get a predator from HF and a motor mount plate. Have the plate welded in. get a jackshart kit and add a weld sprocket hub as the drive wheel. there are a couple of friction drive threads that I am using as inspiration for my Schwinn. You should be able to find them pretty easy. One has a homemade two speed "transmission" or just two speed shift and I believe they are in the DIY or non-kit build area. You'll also need things like throttle set up and belts, pulleys and/or chains depending on your chosen set up as well as assorted nuts,bolts and maybe even a clutch. Do a little(lot) reading and find what setup will suit you best and figure out how to do it. If you can do the "kit" engine thing without any help, you should be able to put something better together.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I would LOVE to see a 2stroke china doll with a actual displacement of 80cc

displacement is bore X stroke does NOT include the volume of the combustion chamber in the head

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Well how bout a hard drive or memory spec on your computer? A kilobyte is 1024 bytes so by the time you have a megabyte those little 24 bytes add up to a big difference (1 million times 1024 equals 1,024,000 bytes you've been gyped 24,000 bytes every meg you measure). Now days we are dealing with gigabytes (1,000 megabytes) and terabytes (1,000 gigabytes)

What really bites is there's no China manufacturer to hold accountable for this discrepancy LOL
laff
easy to fix... you buy another harddrive.bf.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK, back to motorizing bikes. In my opinion, if you want an easy build, go to craigslist and buy one that's done.
If you want one to go up hills, I suggest a inframe 80cc (ok, 66cc) motor, with a shift kit.
If you don't get a shift kit, you get a regular one speed, and the engine will either bog going up hill, or will need pedal assistance. With a SickBikeParts shift kit, you can shift your gears to match the hill.

Problem is, for your first build, I will not recommend it. Get a cheap walmart bike, put a motor on it so you can understand the ins and outs of motor-bicycle building. After you get familiar with it, then you go and get a nice bike, better engine and a shift kit.

Just my $.02!!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Thanks for the hijack save LOL I'm lookin long & hard at a fixie for a lot of reasons. Bein a road bike it's easy to peddle hence a fixed gear drive should be ok even on the hills for the most part. I've been readin some where the sprocket just bolts up to the left fixed sprocket of the fixie like it's just made to do. Might not be too cool for off road but as a commuter...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Thanks for the hijack save LOL I'm lookin long & hard at a fixie for a lot of reasons. Bein a road bike it's easy to peddle hence a fixed gear drive should be ok even on the hills for the most part. I've been readin some where the sprocket just bolts up to the left fixed sprocket of the fixie like it's just made to do. Might not be too cool for off road but as a commuter...
a true fixed gear you have to pedal ALL the time as the crank is always moving just like riding a bigwheel. Something you do NOT want on a M.A.B. that will go faster then your able to pedal it.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
A fixie is fixed gear on one side & free wheel on the other depends on which way you flip the wheel.
either the gear is solidly fixed to the hub when you attach the pedal chain or its not. If it uses a freewheel its just a single speed freewheel just like a cranbrook.... fixed gear means its SOLID no freewheel aka trackbike

If you feet slip of the pedals at 30mph on a fixed gear your not going to like the results of this encounter