Disc adjustment

GoldenMotor.com

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
My front disc brake is an IRD. I have been having trouble adjusting it with the cable. I took the wheel off and measured the distance between the stationary arm and the actuating arm in the relaxed position. It was roughly 2” then I squeezed the arms together until it braked and measured that. It was roughly 3/8”. That seems like a lot of travel before it gets down to the business of braking.
The bike does not have that many miles on the new brake so I doubt that it needs caliper pads. I saw something that said adjust near the allen screw In the middle of the calipers. I know very little about this brake so any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks Jim
:-||
P. S., Thanks Tom I learned something today

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OG,
I think we'rte going to need a photo of your brake problem. I'm not understanding the measurements you're giving if in fact you have disc brakes. Brake clearances between rotors and pads for disc brakes typically measure in the thousands of an inch, not 2 or even 3/8".
If possible post a photo of the parts you have installed and we'll be able to offer more help.
Tom

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Thanks Tom,
The measurements I am referring to are from the fixed leg of the caliper housing to the moving arm that appies the braking, not from the caliper pads to the disc. When my wife gets home I'll take some pic's. It would take 3 hands to do it myself. That has never stopped my before so I'll give it a shot right now (pardon the pun). Ha ha

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
It looks like taking pictures has proved to be easier than uploading them. Every thing is easy if you know how. I printed out the info from the site telling how to do it. Now I just need a magnifying glass to read it. I will get it done though, it has become an issue with me now.
“The more terrible the conflict, the more glorious the triumph”

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Get the instructions back up on your computer screen and while holding the [control] key down on your keyboard, press the [+] key. It should enlarge the image. The more times you do this the larger it gets. Press the [-] key to make it smaller. Press the [0] (zero not "o") key to return to original size.
Sadly, this will not affect how the printer prints out a page though.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Well I have the pics up for what they are worth. I should have waited for my wife.
The top pic is showing the two arms 2" apart. The second pic is showing how I can squeze the arm with my fingers down to about 3/8" where the brake will do it's thing.
Sorry I couldn't get it all bunched up into one post but I UPLOADED THEM!!!

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Thanks Gear Head,
That is some usefull info. I am sure it will come in handy given my photograph and computer skills I'm going to copy and paste it into my notes. I hope. Lol

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Thank you 2 door,
Yup, that's my brake! Complete with adjustment instructions. Wow, you guys are sharp! I think I'll have that puppy adjusted tomorrow. That web page is in my favorites now and printed out too. I just hope I can follow those instructions better than the ones to upload photos.
The pads were never adjusted after the break in period. It makes sense now.
"Knowledge is power" Thanks for sending yours my way. Jim

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I went off topic more than once here but I got on a roll with the photos. Did you notice I now have an avitar?
Thanks again, the fog is lifting
Jim