What needs to be done?

GoldenMotor.com
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Hey guys!

So I have a Schwinn Clairmont...what all needs to be done to it to get it 4-stroke in-frame ready?

Here's what I know needs to be done (but don't know how to do all of it, so could anyone give me links as to how to do it?):

1. Get everything set up/tightened down. Should I loctite anything on the bike itself or just engine/mounting stuff?

2. Replace the fenders/add lights/replace the rack (Already have info on which ones in my "Completely New to This" thread)

Do I need to replace those tires or will thorn-proof innertubes be enough? (If so where can I get them?) Also should I put slime in them?

I've heard about adding red grease to the bearings. Where can I get that grease and how do I apply it?

What type of chain lubricant should I use?

Thanks!

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
1) Yes, loctite everything. Even if it is not directly attached to the motor, the vibes will still travel all over the bike. Maybe not so much with a 4 stroke, but better safe than sorry. Loctite blue, which is meant to be removable with hand tools. If you use loctite red, I think you need a propane torch and an impact wrench to get the suckers loose.

2) Fenders, definitely. Lights, up to you. Rack, depends on the construction of the rack.

Yes, definitely grease the bearings in the wheels, bottom bracket (where the pedals go through the frame) and in the steering head tube. There are a ton of good videos on youtube that go through the process. As far as grease, I think a lot of the guys just use automotive bearing grease? I have a can of Silkolene Pro-RG2 that I got yeeeeears ago when repacking my motorcycle bearings that I will never run out of, lol, so I just used that.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't think the type of grease you use is that important. Just keep the bearings greased.
You can keep the fenders if you have reinforced, tubular fender struts. There are some posts about that on this site.
I would slime your tires. A lot of members hate the slime and prefer tire liners, like Tuffy's.
I wouldn't replace serviceable tires.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Thank y'all very much for the info!! :)

I'm sure I'll be posting more here as I go along... ;)

In about two months (when I get my first REAL paycheck in) I'll actually start a build thread for this bike! :)