I want a front hydraulic disc brake

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm tired of the crappy mechanical front disk brake on my bike. It's so weak it's only slightly better than dragging my feet.

I'm thinking about getting this one from REI, usless someone knows a reason I shouldn't. It's a, Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake - 160mm $72.10. it comes complete with new disk, caliper, and master cylinder. I like this one mainly because it's inexpensive, and it's hydraulic.

I know this is a low end brake, but compared to what I have now won't it be great?

What kind do you like?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have an Avid elixir 3 hydraulic disc brake on the 100+lbs., 212cc Slant build......it stops just fine. It's hydraulic front disc and Avid mechanical rear j-shaft disc.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/511/img0758f.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't know very much about bicycle disk breaks. I can't see much difference between the elixir 3, and the 5s. I guess maybe the 5s are newer models is all?

Tests I've read on the 3s said they work well, so I'm guessing the 5s are about the same. For that price I think I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the reply

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I went over to REI. I love REI. They don't stock the Elixir 5 in store, it's only available online, but they will order it in from the warehouse, if you pay in advance for it. That's what I decided to do.

They did have a Elixir 1 in stock, but it cost $93. I ask if the 1 is better than the 5 since it costs $20 more, but they told me no. The higher the number the better the model. You just can't beat a Elixir 5 for $72.

Only bad thing is, it'll be a week before I get it, but for that price I'll wait.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What my research has revealed about hydraulic bicycle disk brakes is, there's 2 kinds. Expensive ones, and less expensive ones.

No matter what brand or model you're talking about, someone hated them, and someone thought they were the best ever.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've now installed my new hydraulic disc brake, and I've been testing it out for a few days. This is more like it. Real breaking power like what I'm used to feeling on my motorcycles.

It's not perfect though. There's more lever travel than I expected. I think maybe I need to bleed it, but that requires a bleed kit. Before I do that I think I'll go by a bicycle shop, and let a bicycle mechanic feel it, and see what he thinks.

As it is though, it still works great compared to before.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
I'm tired of the crappy mechanical front disk brake on my bike. It's so weak it's only slightly better than dragging my feet.

I'm thinking about getting this one from REI, usless someone knows a reason I shouldn't. It's a, Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake - 160mm $72.10. it comes complete with new disk, caliper, and master cylinder. I like this one mainly because it's inexpensive, and it's hydraulic.

I know this is a low end brake, but compared to what I have now won't it be great?

What kind do you like?

How old are your brakes? they are like any thing need maintaind. i had hays mec that would not stop well at all. a new rotor and clark pades and i can do endos if i wanted to. clean you rotor and pads with rubbing Alcohol and see if that helps. any oil on a disk brake is bad. adding a larger rotor and adapter will help a lot. it all about leverage like archimedes said " give me a long enuff lever and i will move the world" i run 203mm front rotor.

Basement Cat

Mar 14, 2011
Florida
I recently bought a set of Avid Juicy 5's. They were new but feel like they need to be bled anyway. Also, many mountainbikers who use lower end Avids report that they bled theirs out of the box.

You can make a bleed kit under $15. All you need are two syringes, some fuel line, an M5 bolt and two small o-rings (or threaded rod). I made one myself and have used it to bleed my Avid Elixir CRs (that I have on another build) successfully. I can post pictures if you want to see what it looks like.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Elixir is a great brake! never heard a thing bad about them. I think you should have gone to a 203mm rotor for a motorized bike tho? I don't know how well the small rotor brakes are working these days? My few experiences with them did not compare. All I have ever used is 203mms. Brake pads will last longer on a 203mm.