ebikes in China

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I visited several cities in China recently and noticed that there were lots of ebikes and e-scooters but almost no motor scooters or motorcycles. I wondered why that was.

After much asking, I found out that motor scooters and motorcycles are not permitted on most roads in central cities. Thus, for the uses of most people, motor bikes are essentially outlawed.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I visited several cities in China recently and noticed that there were lots of ebikes and e-scooters but almost no motor scooters or motorcycles. I wondered why that was.

After much asking, I found out that motor scooters and motorcycles are not permitted on most roads in central cities. Thus, for the uses of most people, motor bikes are essentially outlawed.
China is doing it !

The oil industry doesn't control the govt in China like it does in the US ?

We are stuck in the oil wars and China is leaving us behind ! ! !

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
That's interesting because when I was over there a few years back just before the Olympics there were thousands of motor scooters and dedicated lanes in the major cities like Shanghai and Beijing. My guide pushed me back on the sidewalk a couple of times so that I wouldn't get hit.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
We are stuck in the past asking our lawmakers if it is OK to use a little gas engine instead of an electric motor because we can not figure out how to use an electric motor ?

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/florida-drivers-license-n-o-t-30183-2.html#post292254
it's not that we can't figure it out, it's that we don't like the idea of a limited range, even if we wouldn't max out or cars range on a regular basis the idea of potentially being stranded when you occasionally make a long trip is very unappealing to americans

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
it's not that we can't figure it out, it's that we don't like the idea of a limited range, even if we wouldn't max out or cars range on a regular basis the idea of potentially being stranded when you occasionally make a long trip is very unappealing to americans
I know. We Americans can't do it.

They can in China.

China is leaving us behind and whose fault is it ?

We the people ! ! !

Remember the space race ? We were not going to let another country out do us ! Right ?

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
It was the space race and NASA that brought us the cool new batteries that power the bicycles and scooters in China.

We are too stuck in the past and hooked on oil to know how to use those batteries ? ? ?

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
The problem in the states is not political. It is not that China has a better "System". The problem is (and I will say this in the nicest possible way), far too many Americans are stinkin selfish, fat, wasteful, arrogent, slobs. I am 100% American, so I can say that without malice. What I am talking about is this;

I drive 100 miles a day for work (I do appliance repair). So, over the past two decades I have noticed a large number of vehicles that fit this description-----

One obese person behind the wheel of the biggest freakin vehicle he could possibly afford (most likely leased or financed because he really could not afford it) sitting in the drive-through lane at McD's with a $5 cup of Starbucks in his hand and a cigarette in his mouth, as well as a stupid Blue Tooth in his ear talking to someone on the phone about how slow the take out is taking. And this Moron is the reason our medical insurance rates are so high...

These people drive me insane and this is, at least to a certain extent, what many Americans are like. Obviously I state an extreme situation. But, you get the idea.

My point is, this is not political as much as idiological. We need to get people to stop being so freakin selfish and wasteful, and get them to realize there is more to life than gaining more stuff for yourself. Once that happens, people will realize we need other solutions. Until then, electric vehicles will remain merely weekend toys without any true impact on our society.

Matt

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
A friend of mine who travels there annually says the same thing. They cleared the roads of bikes and scooters with ICE just prior to the Olympics. Now they just export the junk to us, lol.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
A friend of mine who travels there annually says the same thing. They cleared the roads of bikes and scooters with ICE just prior to the Olympics. Now they just export the junk to us, lol.
Made in China scooters with Honda 60's style motors, the GY6 motor. Tech that Japan gave up on years ago.

And look at our new cool cars.

The new Mustang and Camero. Made to look like cars 40+ years old.

In 1970 we thought 40+ year old cars were old fashioned.

We are oil addicts stuck in the past arguing about Paul Revere ?

EDITORIAL: The media ride of Sarah Palin - Washington Times

Last edited:

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Any industry the Government needs to subsidize is a failed market. Hybrid cars are a perfect example. Compare mpg of a Prius with that of its all gas brother the Yaris. Then compare the purchase price and cost of ownership, then explain to me how a hybrid makes sense. Ag markets are another great example failed markets propped up by subsidies. Electric bikes might make sense, but the cost compared to a gas bike that meets the same use requirements how can electric compete? As the technology gets better and prices come down Hybrids and electric vehicles will begin to make more sense, but for as long as the Government tries to shove them down our throats or legislate the alternative away that is a good indication it is not worth investing in yet, unless you have money to play with such things.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Other than it's looks, I really don't like my happy time.

It's loud, it stinks and it shakes.

Electrics are smooth and quiet. They can compete on their own features.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Any industry the Government needs to subsidize is a failed market. Hybrid cars are a perfect example. Compare mpg of a Prius with that of its all gas brother the Yaris. Then compare the purchase price and cost of ownership, then explain to me how a hybrid makes sense. Ag markets are another great example failed markets propped up by subsidies. Electric bikes might make sense, but the cost compared to a gas bike that meets the same use requirements how can electric compete? As the technology gets better and prices come down Hybrids and electric vehicles will begin to make more sense, but for as long as the Government tries to shove them down our throats or legislate the alternative away that is a good indication it is not worth investing in yet, unless you have money to play with such things.
When we do get cheap batteries they most likely will come from China ?

2, 3 years away ?

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
well motor it's obvious that you will see things your way and ignore any points anyone else makes, have fun with yourself.
I have heard them over and over.

The oil industry talking points.

The doom and gloom talk about how the good jobs are not coming back.

S.S. is broke.

I am sick of the stuck in the past doom and gloom can't do attitude that is going around ! ! !

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
My comments were meant to address the OPs observations on his visits to cities in China. This coincides with what a friend, familiar with travel there tells me, they have all but banned the smoky 2 strokes in urban centers to clear the air of pollution. The same 2 strokes they no longer use but get exported and that forums like this are founded upon. I don't use them, never have, but do use ICEs that cost just a little more, are clean burning, EPA and CARBII certified and for the time being anyway a reasonable alternative to the cost and weight issues eBikes currently are saddled with.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
My comments were meant to address the OPs observations on his visits to cities in China. This coincides with what a friend, familiar with travel there tells me, they have all but banned the smoky 2 strokes in urban centers to clear the air of pollution. The same 2 strokes they no longer use but get exported and that forums like this are founded upon. I don't use them, never have, but do use ICEs that cost just a little more, are clean burning, EPA and CARBII certified and for the time being anyway a reasonable alternative to the cost and weight issues eBikes currently are saddled with.
And every single one I have ever seen that had stickers had one that said certified for off road use only.

They will never be street legal in Florida. Electric is.

I am not so sure that any epa off road motor is legal on the roads of the USA.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
And every single one I have ever seen that had stickers had one that said certified for off road use only.

They will never be street legal in Florida. Electric is.

I am not so sure that any epa off road motor is legal on the roads of the USA.
Cannot say about FL, I'm good for now in the state I'm in but we do have clear, well defined moped/MB laws and so far no reg/ins/inspections.

From reading the haranguing going on in the legal forum, my take is the debate in FL isn't about engine quality but whether eBikes got a pass with the Fed elec vehicle mandate.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I have heard them over and over.

The oil industry talking points.

The doom and gloom talk about how the good jobs are not coming back.

S.S. is broke.

I am sick of the stuck in the past doom and gloom can't do attitude that is going around ! ! !
and you chose to go off on a tangent with my post that had nothing to do with how awesome oil companies are, and bring up how great china is, do you even know what the point of my post was?

it was about the legitimate fault that electric cars and bikes have, which is there limited range.

also fun fact for you about how awesome china is, they still use insanely unclean coal to produce power in much of the country, that's real progress eh? but hey, that electricity that powers those electric bikes that don't pollute has to come from somewhere right?

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
and you chose to go off on a tangent with my post that had nothing to do with how awesome oil companies are, and bring up how great china is, do you even know what the point of my post was?

it was about the legitimate fault that electric cars and bikes have, which is there limited range.

also fun fact for you about how awesome china is, they still use insanely unclean coal to produce power in much of the country, that's real progress eh? but hey, that electricity that powers those electric bikes that don't pollute has to come from somewhere right?

Amazon.com: Electric Bicycles: A Guide to Design and Use (IEEE Press Series on Electronics Technology) (9780471674191): William C. Morchin, Henry Oman: Books

Gets good reviews and has lots of info to help you with your limited range and fear of burning coal issues .

Last edited: