do you have a speedometer

GoldenMotor.com

topdog13

Feb 13, 2011
PA
should i get a speedometer and if so is a wall mart one good or should i go to an actual bike shop for 1

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Every bike I ride has a speedo, with a 20mph speed limit here and the cops not liking us they look for any reason to impound your motor assisted bicycle.

I have been using Walmart Schwinn speedos for years. Some work a week, some work for years. I have one that I have been using since 2007-2008.

topdog13

Feb 13, 2011
PA
ok tyvm ill buy one next time im up there but im not really liking there parking lot a truck backed over our car

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've tried 2 different speedometers. The first one was wireless and I was getting some RF interference so I switched to a wired one. The wired has no problems.

I like being able to tell my speed, but it's not a huge issue. Having a odometer is useful for maintenance, and a trip meter is nice, but I don't seem to use it much. My speedo also has a clock which can be helpful.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I use a Schwinn wired type. I calibrate them to my GPS. They have a trip odo which I use for fuel gage. It works well. Digits are large. Can not see it at night which is a bummer. But over all a very useful device. Enjoy the ride..

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Just bought a Schwinn at wallyw. it has horrible instructions and was finikey to get it to read but works well.
Used it to check calibration on a mechanical one and now put it on my pedal bike.
Amazing how slow I go pedaling (avg 9mph), but especially good to have a speedo on the motorbike. Seeing the speed helps me slow down.

Oh- when you get one -measure the actual MM distance your wheel goes, rather than the setting shown in the instructions.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
For those with smartphones, google has this app called my tracks that uses the gps feature on your phone to record where u go. It records max speed, average speed, average moving speed, moving time, total time, total distance, current speed, minimum and max elevation, distance, minimum and max elevation, min and max grade, latitude and longitude, minimum and max grade. I'm going to try it out tonight. You have the choice for it to upload it to your tracks on google. Its soooooo cool!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
get one from a bike shop. most of them have better waranty plans for bike electronics and bicycles. wall mart doesn't really take care of there stuff sometimes. a friend of mine bought a mountain bike from them and it started falling appart after one year.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Dave, I use the Wally World/Schwinn 12 function cheap-o units. $9.95 and they work well as long as you mount the CDI on the seat tube, away from the front of the bike.
They seem to be accurate when compared with GPS or a car's speedometer. At least that's close enough for me. I like the odometer function; Lets me know how many miles I've been abusing my Opti-2 lubricated engines :)
Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I personally never had good experience with the wallyworld speedos. Went through I think 3 of them. Last one kept resetting itself, so that every time I rode I would have to reprogram it entirely. Got sick of that BS and went to my local bike shop. Picked up an analog (mechanical) speedo for something like $18 or $20. Haven't looked back since. It works great, doesn't need programmed, and also gives my bike a cool vintage look.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've always had a speedometer on my bikes. Can't ride without it! Speed, time, trip distance, all features very important to me on my bikes.

I use a Cateye Commuter on my daily rider. It's the most expensive, high-end bicycle computer I've ever had so far. It has features that are useless to me - like carbon offset - but neat features like temperature, last week's total mileage, and a backlight that can be toggled on.

For those of you having interference problems with wireless computers, just get a snap-on ferrite choke core and snap it on your spark plug wire. Catalog #: 273-105 ($5.49) at your local Radio Shack.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I will never have a speedometer on any of my motorbikes.

I have no use for them as I am never going to be over the limit - :)

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Picked up an analog (mechanical) speedo for something like $18 or $20. Haven't looked back since. It works great, doesn't need programmed, and also gives my bike a cool vintage look.
what brand? i'd like to get an analog one too but i've heard they don't hold up so well.

For those of you having interference problems with wireless computers, just get a snap-on ferrite choke core and snap it on your spark plug wire. Catalog #: 273-105 ($5.49) at your local Radio Shack.
or get some resistance wire at the junkyard for $3

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Resistance wire for a wireless speedo? How wireless is that?
resistance wire, is a type of sparkplug wire.

the kits come with solid core wire which throws off a crap load of EM interference. kept resetting my speedo because it was acting like an EMP device to it.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I got the bell wirleless from target 20 bucks only had trouble with it at night when it cools down for some reason but I like the temp and odometer and speed feature cause of the 19mph speed limit here. I also use the move bike computer app and my tracks app for android phone to log my data(just put it in my pocket.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Skarrd, I am not sure what brand it is. I called the bike shop and asked if they carried them. They said that they did not carry them in stock, but that they could order them. Personally, I think they bought it on eBay. I dont really care, but the neat part was that I didnt have to pay shipping. So they ordered one for me and I think maybe a week later I picked it up. They had it in a couple days, but I didnt have the money to go get it right away. If your local bike shop doesnt carry them or wont order one for you, then search ebay. you will find them for about the same price, anyway, but maybe have to pay a couple bucks for shipping. My speedo has held up just fine, and I have had it for over 6 months. I did have one problem, but it was my fault. I had a front basket, and the way I had my speedo mounted, the cable housing was rubbing against the basket. It ended up rubbing through and breaking the cable. A buddy of mine had a spare cable, so he replaced it for me. I mounted it in a better position, and have had no further problems. I even found a spare cable in my garage. It must have been left behind by the previous tenant. Plus I'm not even using the front basket anymore. I was going for a new look, and the basket didnt go with that look, so bye-bye basket.

Last edited: