China Girl Motor Timing and Ignition System Modifications!

GoldenMotor.com

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Re: China Girl Timing and ignition System Modifications!

I was actually thinking the 'before & after' test would just be starting the engine & testing the new power output of the magneto; (not actually test riding it.)

Also, "yes" it's about 74 degrees & sunny today & we're going for a ride! (sorry) :p laff
You won't be laughing when a snow ball drops out of the sky and knocks you offin one of your purty Motorized bicycles! Don't think I won't! Kip.
[email protected]

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

If there was a way and if I could afford it, I'd have a dumptruck full of snow delivered to Norm, dumped on his driveway so he'd have to shovel it away to go riding.
Tom

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

what? i dont understand i see your shimming the stator to compensate for this right?

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

If there was a way and if I could afford it, I'd have a dumptruck full of snow delivered to Norm, dumped on his driveway so he'd have to shovel it away to go riding.
Tom
No,Let's all go to Cal.Have someone kidnap Him and bring him to Alaska or some place like that and make him walk home.With nothing but a T shirt a speedo with a "Maine" potato in back and Sandals,NO flip flops!And we'll ride his MB's while he's sputtering all the way home!Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

the magnets themselves arent always round and alot of vibe comes just from that
Second verse! Same as the first!
You right the magnets aren't balanced!
Think about this!
First.The magnet has a slot broached in it=out of balance.
Second.The magnet isn't taper fit.
Third.The hole and the slot are So sloppy that you can adjust the timing a couple of degrees just by lossening the nut and turning the magnet!WOW.
Those Chineese are SO clever!
Forth.The split washer is so sloppy it even adds to the mix.
Fifth.Wish I had one right now!
So, I know what your thinking did he fire six shots or five well did I Taco"So go ahead make my Day".
Opps Sorry my left side shorted with my right side!
My fix.Fill in the slot and chuck that woodruff key in the snow bank.
"OH NO UNCLE BILL"
How are you gonna keep that magnet from turning?
Here's what I'm gonna do!
Take that stock nut and split washer and send them into the same snow bank as the woodruff key.
Then get myself a nyloc nut to replace the stock nut and split washer that's sitting in the snow bank with the woodruff key.
This isn't just any ordinary nyloc nut it's a super-duper modified nyloc nut.
This nut has 3/32" divits centered on each of the flats.? I'll explain later!
Now I can set my timing just by advancing or retarding the timing any where I want for my riding style.low end-middle end-or top end.
Just by loosening the super-duper nyloc nut!
When I have it set to my riding style.I simply drill 2-holes on either side of said super-duper nyloc nut and tap in a couple of 3/32"x 3/4 roll pins or tension pins whichever you prefur,.That I just so happen to have laying around."BRILLIANT"
I Betcha that will keep that super-duper nyloc nut snug as a bug!
I know I know.Your probably thinking that just one roll pin or tension pin whichever you prefur would hold that super-duper nyloc nut but two would balance better.
OH,Did I mention that I also polished the outside surface of the magnet? Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

were the bent wires to hold the rotor and mag at an even spacing while you tightened it all down?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Hi,GearNut.That's all they are,. Shims for "trying" to even out both sides of the magneto frame.
I measured the I.D. of the magneto"pickup" surface and the magnet and there was about .070 difference so the .035 welding wire fit the bill.
The magneto would have to move backwards toward the drive sprocket about 1/8" in order for it to be concentric with the magnet.,I might slot the mounting holes to do this.Kip.
[email protected]

I think the big gap at our magnetos on these china's are prolly a big contribution to our weaker spark. A typical Briggs Motor and most magnetos of the like I ever came across was about .006 to .010" at the magnets.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

I think the big gap at our magnetos on these china's are prolly a big contribution to our weaker spark. A typical Briggs Motor and most magnetos of the like I ever came across was about .006 to .010" at the magnets.
You could be right! I figured trying to even them out the best i could would be a good starting point.
If that's the case I could tack some shim stock to the magneto frame to bring the gap to an ideal setting.Thanks for the input!Kip.
[email protected]

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

With all due respect Kip, I'm starting to think that either you are very, very bored or you are suffering from cabin fever. :eek:
You have come up with some most excellent ideas here but.... polishing the rotor?
I would concentrate on closing up the gap between the rotor and stator first. FWIW, polishing the rotor will not affect the magnetic strength or speed at which the magnetic forces transfer to the stator. The air gap between the two certainly will though.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

With all due respect Kip, I'm starting to think that either you are very, very bored or you are suffering from cabin fever. :eek:
You have come up with some most excellent ideas here but.... polishing the rotor?
I would concentrate on closing up the gap between the rotor and stator first. FWIW, polishing the rotor will not affect the magnetic strength or speed at which the magnetic forces transfer to the stator. The air gap between the two certainly will though.
You are most likely right on all counts!
You ever here about the young bull any the old bull.
Over looking a field of purty cows.
The young bull says to the old bull let's run down to the field and romance a couple of those cows.The old bull say's let's walk down and romance them All.I'm romancing them all!
Think about the rotor for a second here.
How many plates are there sandwiched together?
I haven't counted them"Yet" but I bet there's at least 25-30 or better and I don't think there's two the same exact size.
With that said., There's air gaps on the surface between most of them.
So my thinking is make that surface as smooth as possible which will allow the transition of the magnetic force as smooth as possible!
So the bottom line is will it help?Don't know! Will it hurt?No.Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota

Ok, This is just an idea but:

With Go-Peds I always used to loosen the coil screws, place a paper business card between the flywheel and coil, then turn the flywheel so that the magnet pulls the coil on to the card, tighten bolts, remove card, and whalla! Near perfect magnet/coil gap!

Now I know you would have to cut/machine mounting slot instead of holes, but that wouldn't be too hard.

This is just my $0.02 and this probably isn't even what you're looking for but it's worth a shot!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I believe a Business card is about .011 or thicker .013''?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

I agree,with the spacing thing ,but wonder if the other side of the C shaped coil needs the distance to be even