BRIGHT lighting system idea

GoldenMotor.com

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
I have had a 6V electrical system going for quite a while now, which includes an SLA battery, on board charger, and a 750mA light. Trouble is, I've neer been quite too happy about the brightness. Sure, it's bright, but the area where it is bright is only in one small area, and I want something that lights up the whole area around, so that I can see miles ahead of me... The solution: A driving light. But of course, that requires electricity, and these bikes don't give too much to offer in that area. So, I decided to upgrade from my 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. I bought a 12 volt 1.3AH SLA battery, a switch that can handle at least 12V at 8.33A (I bought one that supports 250V at 10A), a 12 volt generator that sits inside the magneto case, an on board charger, an AC wall outlet charger, and I'm about to but a 100 watt driving light (halogen).

Link for the driving light I'm going to buy: Super Force Off-Road Light - Quartz Halogen, 100W - Supercheap Auto
Link for the generator:12 VOLTS MINI-GEN MAX For Motorized Bicycle Lighting (eBay item 400108733087 end time 07-Dec-10 16:17:08 AEDST) : Sporting Goods
Link for the charger:12 Volt Mini-Charger For Motorized Bike LS-3 Lighting (eBay item 400108748072 end time 07-Dec-10 18:59:03 AEDST) : Sporting Goods

If the ebay links don't get you to the right page, then the sellers page is here. Just click on items for sale, then search "generator" or "charger". Make sure you type that in the right box.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Also, forgot to mention my reasoning for posting this: I want to hear other peoples opinions on the idea and also, if anyone has done something like this, how well it works for them.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Well, in the end I bought one of these lights, because I underestimated the size of the other one. However, the brightness this light provided was brilliant. To mount the light, I removed the front reflector (just the reflector, not the mount) and used the mount for the reflector as the mount for the new light. I am still waiting for the generator and charger as they are coming from the USA and I'm in Australia. I will post pics once the entire lighting system in complete -with charger and generator.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Also, I decided to buy a 7.2AH (I might choose a bigger one though) battery instead of the little 1.3. Trouble is, I've got nowhere to mount it (my engine is a REALLY tight fit. So, I went and bought a rear rack for the bike (one of the ones that sit over the top of the back wheel), of which the battery will sit on.

Link for the rack here.
If that link doesn't work go here and search "
Rear Bike Rack RCS".

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I have been using an off road light on my trike and putting one on my Dyno Stretch Cruiser as well. I use a motorcycle battery. Every night when I put the bike to bed I hook up a charger to it. In the morning its good to go. One thing though...don't aim that light to high. You will make a lot of people very mad if its too high.

Terry

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
I have been using an off road light on my trike and putting one on my Dyno Stretch Cruiser as well. I use a motorcycle battery. Every night when I put the bike to bed I hook up a charger to it. In the morning its good to go. One thing though...don't aim that light to high. You will make a lot of people very mad if its too high.

Terry
I learned to to put the light too high the very second i switched on that light for the first time lol. Hopefully the generator will be able to help supply a good 2 hours of lighting before the battery runs out... Which is longer than I ever do a single ride in. I also think that I will probably never have to detach the battery from the bike, because I don't do anywhere near as much night riding as I do day, and if the lights off in the day while I'm riding, then the battery's charging, and not just trickle charging: The generator is supposed to do about 10-15 watts.

Last edited:

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
if the little generators are burning out because they are not capable of the MB speeds, why not put a larger drive wheel on the gen. shaft and slow it down? was wanting to get one for my bike so just might try it myself....

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
So much for parcel "tracking." I've been checking on the generator and charger items regularly, and for the past week, the items haven't changed from 'Your item was accepted at 3:41 pm on November 30, 2010 in HOLLYWOOD, FL 33022. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
The (almost) finished product

Well, although, according to USPS anyway, my item is still in Hollywood, my generator and charger have arrived, allowing me to complete my setup. A few minutes after completing the installation, I have taken these pictures. I'm quite pleased with the result, but I am yet to discover how fast this generator can charge.

Attachments

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Here's a pic of the headlight at night. NOTE: The light is actually brighter than this, the pic is simply taken using a bad camera.
Also, if anyone wants some pics of any other part of the electrics, please say so.

Attachments

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Engine performance with the generator

As for engine performance, there is a bit of a difference, but not much. The engines top speeds or acceleration haven't changed, but the idle speed has increased a bit. The engine did cut out a couple of times as soon as I disengaged the clutch and reduced throttle to 0, but like I said, it has only happened 2 times. Charging rate is great. It charges at up to 600mA, depending on what the battery's maximum charge rate is (the charger detects that for you), and it has a separate (fused) wire for the lights. I'll attach a diagram soon.

Last edited: