Help?

GoldenMotor.com

HiddenRose

Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Built 3 or 5 of these motor bicycles always grubee skyhawk and all most done with the 5-6 build. i just need to break the chain add gas and oil and im done.
Several problems i may encounter is how to install the wide crank pedals (how to do it)
pull start doesn't really pull start like on outboards lawnmowers etc. is this normal? (jerky pull)
other than that i should be fine pedal starting it but whats the point of pedal starting it when you got a pull start isnt that the point of these motors?
:-||

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
This may help with installing your crank One-Piece Cranks or you can google "one piece crank removal" and "one piece crank installation" Sheldon Brown's site has gotten me through some sticky situations. As for the pull start, that's an easy one. These engines have pretty high compression, especially if you are running a slant head. I personally like pedal start better. If you want to make it easier to start and have some money in your pocket, you could pay your local machine shop to cnc and thread a hole so you can pop in one of these http://www.motoredbikes.com/phpBB2/userpix/168_18458_1.jpg. I have one on my scooter, and it makes starting much easier! The decompression valve is usually machined to go next to the spark plug. Good luck! hope this helps!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The cranks are really easy. After taking the old ones out, you will get it. Doing some thing like that, I always disassemble and keep parts in order. In this case, I laid parts out on either side of the bike as they would go back in as a memory aid. The first time I did this, I put the bearing cages back in backwards so the ball-bearings faced outward. Tore up the cages in a few turns. Remember, protect your balls. Face em inward.

Thanks LS! Am doing a chain saw build. Big time compression and was wondering about that.

HiddenRose

Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
ya. I here ya but i don't know how to take out the old crank idk if u need special tools or what. but when i take **** apart i lay the parts out as schematics so its easier to put back together but ill try to get it on tonight use my bosses shop to work on it and its hot as **** in there so i can only work on it for 20 minutes every hour or so.