Help with problems- Leaking A LOT and Aligning sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
I have noticed that my engine drive sprocket isn't strait. I mean that even though the sprocket is aligned with the engine gear, the sprocket is not flush against the spokes so it causes some chain shake compared to the pedal chain. Is there a method of tightening those 9 sprocket nuts to make the sprocket flush and minimize chain shake?

Also, my engine leaks a lot of gas/oil, so much for 100 miles per gallon. Does anyone have any advice to stop all this leaking?

Other than those two issues my bike is really fun. It even makes a 1/2 way decent off road vehicle. I need to add some fix a flat though because I think I am getting a flat on the front tire.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
See if your rear sproket is off set to one side- some are dished and if you turn it around on the wheel you can change the offset of the sproket. Another thing you can try is to put washers on the rear axle between the the hub and the drop out. Some hubs have nuts that can be replaced with different thickness nuts to also move the wheel in the desired direction. Of course make sure the sproket is true first and formost!
The fuel could be a stuck tickler button, the little primmer button on the side of stock carbs. I had that happen a couple times or it could be a stuck float, or possibly the float bowl screws have vibrated a little loose? Sounds like a process of elimination but they shouldnt leak and should be an easy fix, its finding the cause.
I've been plauged with flat tires also here in the desert and havent had much luck with just slime filled tubes, although my mountain bike has them. I recently started using tire liners i got on ebay for 17 bucks and so far seem to work great!
Although nothing will help with road debris like this!

Last edited:

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
I think I will measure the shortest sprocket bolt and then tighten all bolts to the shortest bolt length for the warped drive sprocket problem. Wish me luck.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Just take the sprocket off and beat it with a hammer on something flat.

A -little- gas dripping out the muffler is normal. Is it puddling ? What are you mixing your gas at ? 16:1 , 32:1 ?

Last edited:

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
The chain actually started coming off tonight so I removed the back wheel and tightened the short looking bolts on the sprocket. Then I removed a link and the master link. It's running great again, it seems like my bike is starting to go faster too! The chain is nice and tight now so it stopped coming off. I think the oil mixture is somewhere around 32:1. I don't think the actual sprocket is warped, but the tightness of the sprocket bolts varies and causes the spinning sprocket to appear warped.

Also, my clutch keeps loosening itself to where the bike goes really slow while the lever is in lock position.

The oil probably drips an icecube amount over a 3 day period. It seems like a lot, but I know these engines are cheap anyway. Hey, just our of curiosity, how many miles do you think I could expect to get out of a 66cc 2 stroke engine?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The chain actually started coming off tonight so I removed the back wheel and tightened the short looking bolts on the sprocket. Then I removed a link and the master link. It's running great again, it seems like my bike is starting to go faster too! The chain is nice and tight now so it stopped coming off. I think the oil mixture is somewhere around 32:1. I don't think the actual sprocket is warped, but the tightness of the sprocket bolts varies and causes the spinning sprocket to appear warped.

Also, my clutch keeps loosening itself to where the bike goes really slow while the lever is in lock position.

The oil probably drips an icecube amount over a 3 day period. It seems like a lot, but I know these engines are cheap anyway. Hey, just our of curiosity, how many miles do you think I could expect to get out of a 66cc 2 stroke engine?
I'd keep your expectations a little on the low side, no one can say for sure but a few (to several) thousand miles shouldn't be too hard with out a new top-end needed to keep it going strong. And I'm pretty optimistic...