Homebuilt Stretch frame, 1st Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands
Listen up you guys, you've really got me enthousiastic about these motorbicycle things. So i decided to start me a build. the build will probably go slow, but hey, more stuff to get done, you know the drill.

Here's some pics. The first one is the bike that was my donor.

Strange little short thing. it does have a nexus 3 speed coasterbrake rearhub, but the gears are not in use on this picture.

Let's stretch it! This is more or less the rake and wheelbase i'm going for.

I'm kind of wanting it to look like a early motorbike from the 1910's. With a gastank inside the frame.

Now i don't know what to do with the bottom tube yet. There will also be another tube under the toptube to place the gastank on.

I might move the Bottom Bracket forward to where the downtube ends now. This will make for a better pedalling position. But it will also make me mount the engine higher, which i don't want...

I could just add the front bottom bracket and leave the other bottom bracket. This way i could make some kind of shift kit.

O, and i've never welded anything under 5mm thick, so this could be, err, challenging.

O yeah, and i've ordered a grubee skyhawk 66cc kit. Mostly cause its cheap...

Let me know what you think.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Re: Homebuilt Stretch frame, 1st MB

Looking good. I would add another B.B. and use the other for a shift kit jackshaft. looks like you will have plenty room for an engine. Check out MaxPowers build.

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

Thanks Guys!

Lowering the belly would be cool indeed. I might do that when i figure out a way to make a short radius bend like that. Except, i'd have to fill that bend with something, otherwise it would just look silly. I think i will just figure that out once i get the motor to the other side of that big pond.

O, and i will allso be making my own front end. Maybe i'll have some pictures of that next week.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine

I like it!! Cool when someone isn't afraid to use a sawzall!! Stretch in the front is certainly different. Keep the pictures coming.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

That will be a cool bike, cant wait to see it finished! What do you about a Dutch Orange paint job, with black wheels?

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

Thanks!
I got the upper tube welded and attached the back section yesterday. Actually it was okay to do with MIG welder, i was affraid he tube would be to thin for the big ass welder at work. You can only weld small pieces at a time, but its do-able. Ugly welds though...

Real hard to get the thing straight though, without some sort of jig. It's still a couple mm off now, but i'll heat it up and get it straight this weekend i hope.

I'm still a bit doubtfull about the paintjob. I really love the rat look, so maybe just a red primer and some brown paint. The motor i ordered is black.

I'll shoot some pics soon

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

See here my hillbillie frame-making-jig.

It's really was a ***** to get the thing straight, but i think i've got it now. In these pics you can see how the bottom tube and extra bottom bracket will be sitting. Maybe i can weld it this weekend, so i can show it to you without the square tubes clamped to it...

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

Got the bottom welded today, as wel as the extra tube in the middle. The welds are really ugly so i started grinding them smooth, but i might leave them as they are to enforce the ratty look.

I even got round to taking the thing for a testride. I got a springer fork for a nice price, so might not need to make me a whole new frontend. But as it sits now, the front is way too high, so i'll need to address that.
Can you spot my stupid screwup? I made the rear lower frame exactly where the chain is supposed to go... Bot, this option is kind of cool, when you pedal, the middle sprocket turns the other way. Looks kinda weird, but in a cool way.

Don't know what to do with rims and tires yet, but i found this in my shed, so i might go that route. And maybe a couple simple vuelta downhill rims or something (found those in my shed aswel :))

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

And a couple pics with the Basman

Turns out they're roughly the same wheelbase.

As always any comments are welcome.

Regards,
Timo

chrome

Jan 10, 2010
manila, philippines

I like the "cool screw-up"....very innovative! It looks as if you did that on purpose! The basman...ahhh 1 of my dream bikes! By the way, has anyone here motorized a basman?pec.

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

Thanks guys!

I like the "cool screw-up"....very innovative! It looks as if you did that on purpose! The basman...ahhh 1 of my dream bikes! By the way, has anyone here motorized a basman?pec.
I believe KiM is building a bike similar to a basman, and Akumabito is planning on using a basman once he has found out how to get it legal in the netherlands.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia

Thanks guys!

I believe KiM is building a bike similar to a basman, and Akumabito is planning on using a basman once he has found out how to get it legal in the netherlands.

Actully 'built' just this minute came in from finishing cleaing the spatter from the last of the
welds on the frame, she is finsihed :)

Nice job on the stretch, LOVE the Basman for gods sake don't wreck it by fitting a
HT motor too it!

KiM

Hoeha

Jul 19, 2010
The Netherlands

Heheheh, don't worry, i dare not change my one and only true beauty. Wel that's not true, i still need to get te cables and wires hidden. But it'll probably be a while before i get to that.