Can I reverse slant head

GoldenMotor.com

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
I got this bike im putting together..The cdi wont reach the sppark plug.. Cable to short. Can I take off the head blots and rotate the head 180 degrees ? I looked at the head and cant see why it cant be done.. But I dont want to ruin a new engine .. Thanks for helping

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
yes...what size engine...i would purchase a couple of head gaskets for spares...just be careful when undoing the bolts...i tork mine done 14 lbs per in...12 is probably better for yours...Dennis

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought but the CDI wire is cheap and just unscrews. Be a lot easier. Any auto parts place has em. I buy it a few feet at a time. Can also get every color you can imagine and clear.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
the ignition wire goes from the CDI to the plug.

I don't see why turning the head would hurt but have never tried it.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
What he is sating is the spark plug wire can be taken off and a longer one put on. The head can be rotated too. Heck the whole cylinder "can" be rotated seen that done a few times. Havent tried it yet though.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Heck the whole cylinder "can" be rotated seen that done a few times. Havent tried it yet though.
Reeeeeally... My Dad (who is into motor bikes too) said he was thinking of doing that. I told him that it probably wouldn't work. I guess we'll have to take a cylinder off and see. ;)

On the subject of plug wires. Mine fits pretty loose on the top of the spark plug and when you take it off you can see carbon dust everywhere like it has been arcing. What can I do about that? Is it even a bad/abnormal thing?

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
The cylinder and piston both need to be rotated to do the cylinder with the carb in front and exhaust in back. when you take the cylinder off look at the transfer ports on the engine and cylinder the need to match back up this may need dremeled out or filled. Not sure havent tried it yet. As far as the carbon on the cap looks like you have hit the nail on the head. it needs a new boot and bigger wire. any atv or motorcycle shop has new NGK boots and probably wire. i put a NGK boot on mine and it actually ran a little better better spark i guess. no miss fires.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Smellovision"! har, lol. Love "Futurama" Not to go off topic (I heard that, snork) Was it you or BA who turned the head around with great results JC? Great, great thread on it. Well worth the read.

Any one know where it is?

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
yea gotta love adult cartoons. no that was someone else i just remember reading it. the search engine at the top of the screen really helps on that stuff for way back.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
While the plug wire CAP will come off, on my GT-5 CDI the wire will NOT come out. BTW - what kind of crappy spark plug cap doesn't even click onto the plug? Whose harebrained idea was that? Good thing they gave me 2 cuz i cracked the first one just trying to seat it on the plug!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Some ChinaGirl manufactures glue them in. Can be carefully pried out. CAREFULLY. I always thought the ignition wire screwing in to the plug cap and CDI was really cleaver. Great connection and easy engage/disengage. Even with out glue, dang tight.

JC, last week end I scored every charioteer stuffed from Bullwinkle cartoon! Including "Peabody here. This is my boy Sherman" Every time Carol walks in my shop, I great her with one and a quote.

"I'll save you Nell.." And my favorite, "To the way-back machine"

"Shouldnt you be out making beeg trouble ford Moose and sqwarl?"

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Thx plp for all the feedback Im gonna give it a try and fire it up tomorrow.. Ill keep ya posted.. I far as the spark plug goes I just unscrewed the brass piece off the top and boot slips right on... I have no idea why they use this setup . Maybe its common in china

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
On the subject of plug wires. Mine fits pretty loose on the top of the spark plug and when you take it off you can see carbon dust everywhere like it has been arcing. What can I do about that? Is it even a bad/abnormal thing?
Replace the wire and cap with a more suitable one, like anything that is not the stock set up.
7mm wire.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine